Thread: Thread wrapping techniques

Default Thread wrapping techniques

Hi,

I have 3 tutorials in Adobe Acrobat format which outline the wrapping process quite nicely. If someone can host them I can upload them, otherwise people can PM me their email addresses and I will email them.

Cheers,

Shaun

for those of you who are using single foot guides, here is a method you may like to take into account

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/forhan.html
    the patient mental...

which threads should one be looking at for rod building? i've heard a few people mention Gudebrod, but surely there are others?
    the patient mental...

I used the Gudebrod threads to good effect on both the XP's I have now built. Type A is the size.

on www.gudebrod.com they have these threads listed as 'rod building threads':

Nylon Thread
    NCP® Thread
    Silk Thread
    Classic Twist Two-Tone Color Thread
    HT® Metallic Thread
    HT® Metallic Matte Finish Thread
    HT® Electra Metallic Thread
    Trimar® Thread
    HT® Braid
    Electra Metallic Hologram Braid

now, aside from aesthetics, and assuming we're looking at type/size A, are there any real benefits using one thread and not another?
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    on www.gudebrod.com they have these threads listed as 'rod building threads':

Nylon Thread
    NCP® Thread
    Silk Thread
    Classic Twist Two-Tone Color Thread
    HT® Metallic Thread
    HT® Metallic Matte Finish Thread
    HT® Electra Metallic Thread
    Trimar® Thread
    HT® Braid
    Electra Metallic Hologram Braid

now, aside from aesthetics, and assuming we're looking at type/size A, are there any real benefits using one thread and not another?
    Nylon Thread is the stock standard thread used, NCP is colour fade resistant tread, but once you flex coat Nylon it pretty much is fade resistant, Silk tread the prefered thread for bamboo/splitcane rods so also the classic twist tread, the other mainly looks, anyway thats the way I understand it. NCP also should not change colour when applying the flexcoat, the nylon may go darker or have some unexpected colour change with flexcoat application
    Last edited by pieterkriel; 04-01-07 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    Nylon Thread is the stock standard thread used, NCP is colour fade resistant tread, but once you flex coat Nylon it pretty much is fade resistant, Silk tread the prefered thread for bamboo/splitcane rods so also the classic twist tread, the other mainly looks, anyway thats the way I understand it
    cool. thanks for that Pieter.
    i'll just stick to the nylon then
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    Nylon Thread is the stock standard thread used, NCP is colour fade resistant tread, but once you flex coat Nylon it pretty much is fade resistant, Silk tread the prefered thread for bamboo/splitcane rods so also the classic twist tread, the other mainly looks, anyway thats the way I understand it. NCP also should not change colour when applying the flexcoat, the nylon may go darker or have some unexpected colour change with flexcoat application
    The major difference between the two "normal" threads that you will be using (NCP and normal Nylon) is not only the fade resistance, but also the fact that normal Nylon goes translucent when applying epoxy without first putting on thread preserver. As Pieter correctly states, 99% of the time it also goes darker (and don't forget the translucent part - which I really like BTW) without preserver.

Other threads are mostly for decorative uses.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Sorry...

Only just saw this thread now...
    COOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!!!
    "n' man is nie n' klip nie" He needs to fish too...