Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clouser - Taper Principle - SBS

Wiets Banned User

[QUOTE=FishWhisperer;87810]Very nicely done! Fab SBS! Cant wait to see the Lellofush flies. I would just like .................................................. you will agree, its a thing of beauty!

Hi Matt

What material was used for the body?

Wow. Nice SBS.
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    What material was used for the body?
    Oi... um, Ill take a bash but you'll probably do better by PMing MC.

As far as I can remember it was Gamakatsu SL12s, Dumbell eyes with the sides sanded of and mirage eyes stuck on with superglue(and then coated in hi-build). The body is lead wire and the coating is hi-build rod building varnish but i cant remember what hi puts in it to make it shiny and white. I use glitter eyeshadow (the stuff the chicks use) and it works a treat. Body is made from layered white bucktail, mother of pearl crystal flash, Flashabou, Super hair in 3 or 4 different colours (made by SciFly I think) Gills are kinky fibre and then topped of with bucktail again.
    He uses a lot of different materials for different reasons, ie some are softer some are more durable etc, which is why i think it best to get him to explain. Sorry I cant be more help.
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 02-07-08 at 09:56 AM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

hmmm... nice studying...
    Save our Yellows!

yes Wiets, I am curious to know how he got the body like that

[QUOTE=

I would just like to add one thing if I may. The taper he refers to, as far as I know is not only the taper of the head (which does give it a nice fishy shape) but he also tapers the body a lot too. The reason he does this is that as the water flows over the profile of the fly, the defined taper causes turbulence as the water rushes over the bulky head/body and then back down to the thinner tapered tail, which in turn causes the tail to shake/kick. I also think the fact that he adds so much material to the fly help to keep the taper in the water.
    I have attached a few photos of the fly from that night... Im sure you will agree, its a thing of beauty!

[/QUOTE]

Good looking fly, I pressume its tied for offshore fshing???

Yebo, he tied them for a trip to Moz. I think he said is had 2 layers of lead on it I wouldn't want to be casting that too far all day.
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 02-07-08 at 09:54 AM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2