Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zonker-clouser

Default Zonker-clouser

I have high hopes for this fly.....im sorry i dont have time to do a SBS....the idea grabbed me after fishing with Leroy and Dewald.Leroy designed a fly for the skippies and i loved the movement the zonker gave the fly....

I tied in a plastic plate to 'hopefully' keep the zonker from wrapping and to keep it on a level plane.....i dont know how this is going to affect the action but if it makes the action more erratic then im all for it....as long as it rides hook up...clouser style....sorry about pic qaulity
    Attached Images Attached Images
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I tie the exact same fly except with the Zonker strip on top. I use a deadly dazzle on the bottom but I think the stiffer synthetics that you are using are a better plan. Mine gets twisted up quite a bit. Action in the water is amazing though!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    ....as long as it rides hook up...clouser style....
    Why would you want it to ride hook up? What are the benefits, besides that it may be a little more "snag-free"?

Hi, Steve!

Glad that one of my little creations could inspire a new fly from your vice! That will smack them! Here's a pic of the flies I was using when Dewald, Steve and I were fishing together.. I got my first skippy on the white one. They have awesome action, but the tail wraps and sometimes a short-striking fishy can rip it right off. I now tie them with an epoxied flash body instead of the cactus chenille. The epoxy secures the zonker very nicely, no more tail wraps or tails being ripped off. You lose the action of the rabbit hide, but the hair more than makes up for that. I've caught some leeries on the new version. I'll see if I can post a pic of it this afternoon.. Nice one Steve, and thanks for the zonker strip that made up that first one!
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by FastAction View Post
    Why would you want it to ride hook up? What are the benefits, besides that it may be a little more "snag-free"?
    I supose it just comes down to the fact that i have alot of faith in the clouser style...it has caught me plenty....

I think esp with the zonker if its rides hook down the zonker will wrap and give a foul action compared to hook up...gravity etc etc...thats why i teid the plastic piece in...almost like a table for the zonker to lie on....

Snag free.....i fish this fly midwater to just below the surface....its only when i target kob that i may bounce it along the bottom...so i dont really worry about it snagging....

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Hi, Steve!

Glad that one of my little creations could inspire a new fly from your vice! That will smack them! Here's a pic of the flies I was using when Dewald, Steve and I were fishing together.. I got my first skippy on the white one. They have awesome action, but the tail wraps and sometimes a short-striking fishy can rip it right off. I now tie them with an epoxied flash body instead of the cactus chenille. The epoxy secures the zonker very nicely, no more tail wraps or tails being ripped off. You lose the action of the rabbit hide, but the hair more than makes up for that. I've caught some leeries on the new version. I'll see if I can post a pic of it this afternoon.. Nice one Steve, and thanks for the zonker strip that made up that first one!
    No problem....the least i could do after you guys shared your secret spots with me...

Stephen Smith

this is what can be done with these flies

Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Might I make a suggestion with regards to eliminating wrapping of strips around hooks.

I usually tie in a short piece of mono at the tail end that I superglue a part of the tail to or alternately, tie in a double piece of mono at the tail that the tail lies over. Similar concept to the plastic piece tied in I think.
    We fish the zonker strips heaps and agree that the material is brilliant but can be frustrating if it keeps tangling.

Just a thought.

A question for you guys; Why does the hook have to ride upwards? If all the material, (zonker strip included) was tied in on top of the shank, would this not eliminate tail wraps to a large degree? The ultimate profile of the fly would be very similar, with the only exception being an exposed hook that would now ride downwards....I can't see that making much difference to the fish taking ability of the fly, surely?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Howzit guys..

Chris, you're right, whether the hook rides up or down, the fish shouldn't see much of a difference. I tie them hook up for two reasons. As MC said in the Milky Dream SBS, it means less foul hooked fish. Leeries will of course find a way to impale themselves non the less, but we do what we can!. Secondly it opens up the oppertunity to bump the bottom and fish through structures for fishies like bass and kob.
    Here's some pics of the fly I mentioned earlier, and that can be seen in the little leeries face in Deewy's post.. it shows my epoxy solution to the tail wrapping problem. The hookshank is wrapped with lead and flash material, the rabbit strip is tied in and the whole thing is epoxied together. I came up with this pattern when I ran out of dumbells.. probably not half as original as I think, but it works nicely..

Cheers!
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast