Thread: Wayne's Milky Dream SBS

Default Wayne's Milky Dream SBS

I must still work out this Photobucket thing but here goes in the meantime.

Wayne's Milky Dream

This pattern is maybe slightly over complicated but having said that, we did hook and land a lot (well, quite a lot) of Milkfish on it while other guys only managed one or two hookups per tide. Presentation was head-on at large shoals of fish as they crossed the finger flats or circled just off the edges of these. The fly is retrieved at a slow pace, almost like a Woolly Bugger when fishing stillwaters. I hooked all my fish with this head-on approach as opposed to dead drifting the fly over/through shoals of fish from a side-on position. We never really fished this pattern at the singles/doubles which you encounter on the shallow sand flats at the beginning of a pushing tide - after spending a couple of hours at this I decided that I was wasting my time. All hookups were extremely positive and the fly was always in the scissors. The guys who fished side-on foul hooked the majority of their fish.

Materials

Hook: Gamakatsu SC12S (Trey Combs) # 2

Thread: Fine white

Wing: In very sparse layers stating at the bottom -

White Calftail (20 strands)

Pearl Midge Flash (4 strands)

Chartreuse Calftal (20 strands)

Olive Marabou (15-20 strands)

Sparse bunch of Chartreuse Sculpin Wool

Collar: Coral small diameter Chenille (1 to 2 wraps only)

Head: UV flash wrapped over the white thread.

Tying sequence:

Just follow the pictures, but keep the wing sparse.

Fantastic... now I just have save up for a trip to the Sey!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Hi MCC

I asked in another thread as well, but why tie the fly "hook-point-up"? Besides being maybe a little more "snag-free" on structure, what are the other benefits? (In the salt, you generally don't drag patterns over structure anyway, so what's the point?)

Hi there

In this instance it is only to avoid foul hooking fish. The Milkies come over fairly shallow water in big and densely packed shoals. With the hook point down you would foul hook one on almost every cast.

Cheers
    MC