Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Triggerfish Crab SBS

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hey Gerrit

You are a leader of men.

Why?

YOU LEFT FLYTALK BEFORE IT WAS THE IN THING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not so sure about using a circle hook on Triggers - I am no expert on them, so take this opinion with a pot of salt.

These fish are weird in that they have really small mouths with big rubber lips on the outside. They can't suck food into their mouths, so they push their food against the bottom and chew it off. It's like trying to eat a piece of chewing gum off the pavement - Not speaking from personal experience here but maybe somebody can go and try for us.

The point is that they don't seem to get the fly into their mouths and 99.9% of all hookups appear to be in the lips on the outside of the teeth.

Oh yes, good to have you back on the forum.

Cheers
    MC

Hi Mc,dankie baie!!!!

Jy moenie so baie komplimente gee nie,netnou raak die manne jaloers,verval in depressie en verlaat dan ook die forum en blameer my vir dit.

I understand your reasoning totally BUT I would still give it a go,even just for the fun of it.I tie my freshwater crab on circles and it looks/works great.I'll send u a pic for comments.

Thanks for the message and reply.

Gerrit

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    ........... These fish are weird in that they have really small mouths with big rubber lips on the outside. They can't suck food into their mouths, so they push their food against the bottom and chew it off. It's like trying to eat a piece of chewing gum off the pavement - Not speaking from personal experience here but maybe somebody can go and try for us. The point is that they don't seem to get the fly into their mouths and 99.9% of all hookups appear to be in the lips on the outside of the teeth. ............
    Cheers MC
    Like some of our brothers, these fish are blessed with huge thick rubbery lips! But unlike these brothers of ours, they have small mouths relative to other fish of a similar size. These fish are reef territorial where juveniles will school and hang out in the same vicinity, the larger ones are more solitary and roam a wide area.

They use their thick lips for blowing jets of water and grabbing a mouthful of sand. One particularly interesting aspect of the fish's behavior is the ability to blow jets of water from its mouth. These jets help the fish find invertebrates that may be buried in the sand. Triggerfish can often been seen spitting sand from their mouths in order to sift through the material in search of edible detritus or organisms. They use their canine like teeth to nibble, bite and tear away at "larger than their mouth" prey. Since the mouth is quite small, large food prey will be ripped apart into smaller edible pieces and then swallowed. Similar to most other species, they go into a feeding frenzy where each will grab and tear away at the prey.

Triggerfish can wedge itself into small crevices and lock its spine to make it extremely difficult to get out. They have a roundish, laterally flat body with an anterior dorsal fin. They can erect the first two dorsal spines - the first one locks and the second one unlocks. This prevents predators from swallowing them or pulling them out of their holes. This locking and unlocking behaviour is why they are named 'triggerfish'. In addition, when fleeing from predators, the triggerfish will sometimes make grunting noises, possibly a call to warn other nearby Triggers of danger at hand.

Reef Triggerfish are fairly aggressive and will generally not tolerate conspecific species in its general vicinity, thus larger Triggers are often found solitary. Specific species (Titan & Picasso) are particulary aggressive when nesting and are known to attack much larger species than themselves including divers - See Video of such an attack.

They also have the remarkable ability to rapidly alter their coloration. They can fade into a relatively drab appearance when sleeping or demonstrating submission while the coloration is often the most vivid when the fish is healthy and unthreatened by its surroundings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3