Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Entomology

Default Entomology

I have recently started tying my own fly's. This is all fun and games, what I now need is to know what to stock up on at what time of the year, and I am also cetain at some point I will get to be so anal at to pack for a specfic part of the country.

Can any one recomend good literature on entimology, I do hope there are some South African authors whith are specific knowlage.

Thank you.

Hi AB1. I would start off with Struik's Field Guide To Insects Of South Africa by Mike Picker, Charles Griffiths and Alan Weaving
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Agree with Chris. There's also a guide to aquatic insects...hmmmm link was I think on the FOSAF page, go to www.fosaf.co.za, click on the FOSAF icon.

Not Sefrican but Jason's site has some of the best photo's and end of the day the all look the same all over the world ;-)
    www.troutnut.com

There is also Aquatic Invertebrates of SA Rivers available from Netbooks.

http://www.dwaf.gov.za/IWQS/biomon/a...uabugfield.htm
    Last edited by kreef; 07-07-08 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot URL
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hi AB1. I would start off with Struik's Field Guide To Insects Of South Africa by Mike Picker, Charles Griffiths and Alan Weaving

I bought a booklet from the DWAF about local aquatic insect life. They give photos, life size photos and a full description about the insect incl behavioral patterns. From Caddis to Mayflys to blood worms etc etc etc.

I found it at Mavungana in Dullstroom.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Dwaf that's where I saw it. That is one of the best local books.

Default Thank you.

What can I say but thanx.

Kreef, nice one on the contact detail aswell.

Default Super site

Yellofever,

I have had a brief scroll through your site, superb info for newbies like myself, thank you for the effort and info.

Default Question

Hi Guy's

I was at a spot this weekend that I would like to fish in the summer when the water temp is up.

I scouted around in the shallows and pools and found some very small, almost white stonefly's. Obviously they will grow larger, my question is will they change colour?

Thanks.

Both those books are excellent and I'm on my second DWAF aquatic Invertibrates book, the first one being so popular it disappeared at one flytying evening!

Also check 'Aquatic Entomology' under 'Hunting Trout' on our forum. Also use the 'search' engine on the forum if you've any queries on specific families of insects

A superb newish book is by the maestro Dave Hughes 'Handbook Of Hatches' 2nd edition. Very easy-to-understand description of how the various stream and lakeside insects behave and how to tie easy imitations without all the latin stuff. Great for newbies and the info can be extrapolated to our waters and insects. I think Flyfishers Unlimited may still have some but check your local flyfishing shop
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast