Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rod for cape streams

Jag, to confuse you even more, I would say to each their own. It all depends on your own particular fishing style. Personally I like to fish close, really close and for this reason I prefer a shorter rod. All my stream rods are less than 8ft in length. On the odd occassion, when I have needed to extend my cast to 15 metres and beyond, I find that my 3 weight 7'6, or my 2 weight 7'3 for that matter, do the job perfectly for me.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Jag, to confuse you even more, I would say to each their own. It all depends on your own particular fishing style. Personally I like to fish close, really close and for this reason I prefer a shorter rod. All my stream rods are less than 8ft in length. On the odd occassion, when I have needed to extend my cast to 15 metres and beyond, I find that my 3 weight 7'6, or my 2 weight 7'3 for that matter, do the job perfectly for me.
    Chris,

Just to clarify, the additional rod length is useful for high sticking where typically the casts are very short. A longer rod allows me to fish longer leaders and lift more line off the water to prevent drag. It also allows for better mending. I started off fishing the Cape streams with a 7'6" rod but after fishing an 8' and 8'6" rod, I find that they offer a number of advantages. At the end of the day I guess it depends on how you like to fish and how you control drag.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Thanks for all the advise.

If i follow it all. The best would be a 3 weight 8ft rod.

What tipe of action would be best suited for the cape streams, or is this more of a personal preferance.

Thanks JAG

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    Thanks for all the advise.

If i follow it all. The best would be a 3 weight 8ft rod.

What tipe of action would be best suited for the cape streams, or is this more of a personal preferance.

Thanks JAG
    JAG,

Personal preference which depends on your casting style. I prefer fast actioned rods although you are more likely to pop a light tippet if not used to these type of rods. Most people go for a medium actioned rod which loads easily and protects light tippets.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Cool

I also prefer shorter rods which I have in the 6'6'' to 7'9'' range, one to three weights, but sometimes as the guys allude to, a longer rod can actually be an advantage with bush etc around, also for line/fly control. If any of you have rich mammas wanting to pamper you for Christmas, I just 'tested' a mate out from Pommieland's Orvis Zero gravity I think it was 4 wt 8'6'' on Seekoeispruit for smallscales. What a light, powerful and delicate rod! Unfortunately I think the price tag means Momma had be very fat and lovin'!

Cheers

Well just to add my 2c i just got a Greys G-Series 3wt and its and absolute beauty of a rod! Its very well priced and is 8ft long. The only reason i initially went for this rod is because i used Kev's whilst i was in CPT and i must say its one of the best buys i have ever made. Hope this doesnt add to much more confusion!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Budget wise, Stealth also offer some fairly simple, yet value for money rods!

At the end of the of the day, I guess the decision comes down to personal preference. Go to your local dealer and test out a range of rods. Buy the one you are most comfortable with.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Between Vision and TFO ?

TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO !

you might now have to watch your back next time you are on the Vaal and I see you

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    you might now have to watch your back next time you are on the Vaal and I see you
    Pieter, he should be quite easy to spot. Just look for the bloke with the broken rod
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Pieter, he should be quite easy to spot. Just look for the bloke with the broken rod
    my thoughts exactly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast