Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 41.10%
  • No

43 58.90%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Members Reputations

"whispers".....my days are numbered here....but if you go back a long way i did perhaps say something usefull
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I'm happy with doing this. The problem with this, as well as self moderation that most okes are punting for, is that there are very few adult enouth members that will use it for what it is intended.

What is the problem with someone rating you as a k@k prater or a valuable, informative member. We all get diferent things out of the forum. If yours is to k@k praat the whole day so be it. In my mind that will the whole point of doing this. When a newby comes on he can look at the ratings and know who to ask a question from and what type of answer to expect.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Having read through the whole thread again I say this;

Do whatever,rate me,don't rate me.As long as I keep on learning I'll be happy to commit/take part in the forum.

G

Ps.May I please have the 7* status.

gerrit, don't forget, it's not about you......yet
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Grant/Liam, I agree with u guys and voted yes. The main part of the forum is often spoilt by pally pally noise. Leave that to the General section. A rating system will certainly cause members to consider their posts more carefully which has to be a good thing. I also belong to certain other flyfishing forums where the quality of the posts is far higher than the current Flytalk standard imho.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post

What should my rating be?
    What other members think your contribution to the overall site is. Whether its *** praat, informative replies, or usefull questions that everyone can learn from, or just questions for the sake of a post count.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    gerrit, don't forget, it's not about you......yet
    Not?

He he just kidding,I know that.It never is.

It's about being rated,to gain that elusive expert status.

Nou praat ek net k@k,disregard it,just having a bit of fun while we're discussing the rating option.

G

Gerrit, Personally I feel that you bring a huge amount to flytalk. I can't think of another person at the moment that posts more informative threads, whether they start out as questions or instructions for other people or whatever.Now answer this: How does it feel when a thread you started turns into a sledging match?

I am not against talking k*k as i like doing it myself, but i believe there is a place for it and this will help regulate that kind of thing. My problem is that it happens everywhere and ruins probably close to 90% of the threads posted at the moment.

When you see a thread by MC or Philip or one of the other well known guys, do you take more notice of what he says? I do, because i know the experience these guys have had in fishing can help me make a decision on whatever the subject may be. That is important. With them we know their worth by their name.

Now i know that certain people are going to be in an uproar, because we think more of certain people's advice on the site than others. I anticipate a thread soon asking for all user names to be removed so that everyone is anonymous and therefore equal on the site. That is basically what all you guys are saying.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Just another quick observation, as i have said i do not think it will make a huge difference to the forum if people are given a gold star or not, but i would like to say that sometimes Phillip or Pierre should just add these features and see what Happens, i know its a democracy and its a fair vote system blah,blah,blah but i think this is a good case of going with the idea if you beleive it is a good one and taking it from there.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    What other members think your contribution to the overall site is.
    It's not about me,let's just get that straight.In ur poll it would be high on all counts.

Does it matter to me?No

I still can't see the logic behind the rating system.We all know by now who the active members are,who knows what and who to approach for answers/tips.

How long has Flytalk been around?Why has this never come up before?Why now?I've got my "ratee's" and I don't have to click to determine that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast