Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are you tying?

Default What are you tying?

I thought this might be a fun question: What is the last fly you tied and why?

I tend to only tie when I need to, usually when I have a trip planned and need certain flies for this venue. Occassionally I will feel inspired by a new idea and just tie with no real goal in mind.

Last night I was tying up some Craigs Night Times - as the name says these are flies designed for fish at night. Reason: going to Rotorua for a few nights next week so hope to catch some big fish in the river mouths.

Pic below (note, this is not mine, just a pic I found):

PS. Saltwater OK too.

The last fly I tied was on friday and it was a batch of black brassies for the smalblaar on saturday. There are still lots of blackfly larvae on the rocks but the fish were not interested in the brassie, only dries.

last flies i tied were while i was up at Lotheni - did a bunch of beetle patterns, both foam and deer hair versions.
    the patient mental...

Default Last fly

Preparing for a trip to the Holy Grail, Nirvana, Eldorado of yellowfish - Sterkfontein dam FS. Every night I sit down at my desk to tie, my 5y old son says "Cool we're gonna play Lego Star Wars Trilogy!" We are on a roll 18/99 levels unlocked! No flies tied.

I have downloaded new ideas from the www. I have a serious supply of CDC so the tying will happen.

Klippies & Gans (CDC EHC)
    Paraloops - Adams and Klinkhammers. I want to try this method of tying on the yellows. Previously I had many missed takes (mistakes?). I want that gape to be open and clear.
    Beetles and hoppers
    Fly ants

SFE (Seals Fur Emerger)

I tried to take some pics of the ty'ing process, but it was my first attempt, and they did'nt come out lekker.

• TMT 100, un-weighted size 14 - 18
    • Tie a normal tail and body, white or cream.
    • Rib it with a thin wire for top water stuff, or a heavier wire for sunken stuff.
    • At the end of the abdomen, tie in a small tuft of Cream Seals Fur, and then pull it all backwards.
    • Tie in the thorax, slightly bushier than the thorax.
    • Pull the Seals Fur over the thorax, but leave it loose or a loop over the body, tie it off at the head, but do not trim it.
    • Tie in some fibers to represent legs, and then pull the remaining Seals fur backwards, so it looks like a wing.
    • Tie in a goose biot on either side of the "wing" and tie off... (optional)

DO NOT TREAT IT WITH FLOATANT!!!!!
    Last edited by MaXiMuM; 20-12-06 at 11:16 AM.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Ahhm I see the SFE has arrived.
    The white goose biots?
    If you tie the goose biots in, how long do you make them compared to the shank?
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

They go at 11 and 2 o’clock, and go just to the end of the thorax.

The one I tied here is the top water variation.
    The body is rabbit or squirrel, with light wire ribbing. Then when you fish it, you squeeze it under the water to get the body to a neutral density, and then it hangs under the seals fur.

The point version needs to have a little seals fur blended into the dubbing mix, and is tied with a heavier rib. It is also important to tie in the goose biot’s as the help hold the wing back.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

The last flies I tied were:
    Maxi's dogs breakfast & flippers

at 1h30 on saturday morning in preparation for the fishing later that day.
    They flies even fished nicely and still looked good the next morning

Default great looking fly

hi kevin, i think your fly has great possabilities please let us know how you do.
    my last fly was only a charlie or 7. i have had no luck with flippers so far so i went for the "if you dont like the big mac then try the whacky wednesday"
    aproach
    cheers
    roland

hi nkula
    like i said earlier i'm new to this but as i go along i'm reading more and more interesting articles. recently my friend said my fly looked like a ..... dogs breakfast.
    he's no longer my friend
    {ok so i hav'nt caught on my wooly bugger "dog something " yet)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast