Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Segmented Popper SBS

Default Segmented Popper SBS

Guys

Here I realy need your coments on. I was playing around and came up with this popper. I am sure that I am not the first to do this but I am not sure how sucsesfull this popper can be. I took the SBS pictures to share with you guys and get some tips and maybe I can make this fly to be a real killer.

MC and Jono I would realy appreciate your input.

Materials:

Hook: 5/0 Owner circle (the only big hook I had left)
    Tread: White needlework tread.
    Tail: White bucktail
    Wing: White Strung Hackle
    Flash: Pearl Christmas tinsel
    Collar: Red cactus cheneil
    Head: Redwhine cork

I used Hackle and bucktail as this is quite stiff and would not fouls as easy as synthetics.

Step 1:

Make a hole through one standard whine bottle cork.

Step 2:

Build your tail. First I added the bucktail, then flash on top with more bucktail. I added 5 Hackle feathers on each side, concave side facing outwards. I added the cheneil collar and whip finished.

Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Step 3:

I used white tipex on the cork to paint it white. This took 2 coats and I added the Stick on eyes. As soon as the tipex was dry I coated the whole cork with loons softhead. This will secure the eyes and to give it a more lifelike feel.

Step 4:

I add a piece of 30kg mono to the hook. This is tied on with a normal fishermans knot. The mono gets treaded through the cork. The cork slideds up right to the hook. This will make the head to swivel and and add allot more action to the popper.

I added some glitter along the side of the cork to make a latteral line. A loop are made on the front of the mono that is passed trough the corck. This simply gets looped to your tippet and will also double as a shock tippet.

As I said guys, I have not yet fished this popper and I am intending to do so this comeing season. Its a big fly that will be cast in the search of big fish.

Regards

Dewald
    Last edited by deewy; 13-07-08 at 07:15 PM.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

ok ...seing that you want jono and mc to reply......i won't
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    ok ...seing that you want jono and mc to reply......i won't

I supose you can give your opinion as well hehehe
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

just teasing....looks like a freaking nice nice fly
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

howzit dewald....seems so mc and jono arent commenting yet...

that is going to be be difficult to cast.i have tried something similar.maybe try the foam bodys you can purchase in the shops..

the gape of the hook isnt wide enough for my liking....and im not a fan of circle hooks....

but a couple of minor adjustments and you could have a winner
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Nice looking popper. Gonna need some serious rod and at least a 500g line to launch that puppy. If you're from the Cape maybe the wind in your back will help. Otherwise high probability of rotator cuff issues!

I like the Owner hooks, they are awesome and work one time. Have tried them on some Gurglers, but need a short foam tail extension to compensate for the heavy hook wire. Otherwise it been all in the mouth!

So no no one else is going to coment on this fly?
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    So no no one else is going to coment on this fly?
    Deewy I like the look of this. I'm no popper expert, but perhaps the hole made through the cork could be more towards the side, as opposed to straight tthrough the middle, to try and increase the gape between the hook and the "belly" of the cork? Would this change the action of the popper? Or would this make the cork maore likely to break up?
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

i dont know rory, i am just experimenting with it, i must still go and fish the damn thing. You guys must also remember its a circle hook, thats why the gape looks so small.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast