Thread: Powell 2piece

Default Powell 2piece

I have searched and not come up with anything conclusive, I have a 9# 2piece Powell that I was considering changing into a 4 piece...

Is this possible(without changing the rod's nature) and if so does anybody know of somebody that would be prepared to take a look at the rod for me.

TIA
    Adrian

I can't answer for changing the rod's nature, but I would guess it would make the rod 'stiffer' and obviously a tad heavier. Maybe try Rick Cronje (Flyfishers Unlimited), Roger Baert (c/o The Flyfisherman Hilton) and Mike Newby (c/o our forum). There may well be others but those are the guys I know.

Good luck, Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Chris, Thanks for the info!
    I will pm Mike, and see what the other guys think about my plans to change the rod...

It is quite a slow rod, so stiffening(sp) it up a little might help me cast the thing.

Thanks again
    Adrian

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Hi Adrian,

I researched this a little while ago for someone else. As I understand, it would definitely stiffen the rod a little which as you said, may not be a bad thing.

My research was confined to this forum. You may find the other thread/s if you use the search function but I'm not sure if you'll learn much more than, what you'll get on this thread. I know Mario(Flyguide.co.za on this forum) has also done a few conversions.

Kind regards,
    PTN

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SaGixer View Post
    I have searched and not come up with anything conclusive, I have a 9# 2piece Powell that I was considering changing into a 4 piece...

Is this possible(without changing the rod's nature) and if so does anybody know of somebody that would be prepared to take a look at the rod for me.

TIA
    Adrian
    Hi Adrian

Mail me at mario@customflyrods.co.za - I have a "tutorial" available on how you can do this yourself - that should give you an idea of what needs to be done. If you want to tackle it yourself, great stuff, always great to give it that personal touch - if not, you can send it to Roger or Mike, I'm also willing to do it for you.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Adrian

You can convert the rod to a four-piece. It would involve cutting the blank in two places, and inserting ferrules. It would be much like the Scott rods and some of the Stealth rods (Extreme models come to mind) that use the ferrule systems. In other words you would have one place where the rod would fit over itself (original area of connection, 2 piece) and two new places of connection with ferrules.

Your blank will definitely stiffen up a bit, because you have two ferrules in the blank making it a little stiffer and more resistant to bending in those areas.

I personally (and this is just me of course) do not like cutting blanks to make multi-piece rods, and I don't like the ferrule system on rods either. I had a Scott that broke on the ferrules on a few occasions. That's just personal experience, but it put me off this way of connecting rod sections for life.

Roger Baert does do these conversions (he is in Durban) and I know he does a very good job, so if you want to do it, contact Roger. He is very reasonable too, won't rip you off.

Traditionally, 2-piece rods retain the blank's action better than multi-piece rods, so think twice before doing it. The only real disadvantage of 2-piece rods (or 1 piece rods) is travelability. Other than that, there are no disadvantages...you only have one connection to worry about (coming loose during casting and fishing all day), and the blank retains more of it's natural curve. It does it's casting job more effectively in other words than multi-piece rods.

Hope this helps,
    regards
    Mike

Thanks for the info guys!

I will be leaving the rod as a two piece. I cant bring myself to cut a perfectly good rod up! Especially if it is just for the ease of transporting it.

I will be looking at building my own rod. It is a bit daunting to take up as a novice but i want to give it a try.

Thanks again for the help!

Adrian

If it's any consolation I also have a Powell 9' 9 wt 2 piece and altho it's a tad inconvenient for travelling I don't think I'd have it converted - rather the Devil I know!

Cheers, good fishing with it!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)