Thread: PTN & CDC Nymph

Default PTN & CDC Nymph

Good morning

OK, here is another cool pattern. A bit of old mixed in with some new inspiration from a Czech tying video I watched last night.

Step 1
    Place a Tungsten bead on shank and wrap the thinnest thread possible down to the bend. Here I used Gudebrod 10/0. Make the usual thread bump and tie in four to five Coc de Leon hackle fibres for a tail. In this pattern bulk is your enemy, so only use one wrap to secure tail.

Step 2
    With your next thread wrap secure a single PT fibre and a piece of very thin copper wire ribbing material. Move the thread about one third of the way up the shank.

Step 3
    Wrap the single strand of PT to where the thread is now placed. Clamp PT fibre in hackle pliers and let it hang there.
    Now tie in one more PT fibre and build up a very slight tapered body with the tying thread.

Step 4
    Now wrap the two strands of PT fibre towards the bead. Make sure that you keep the two strands running parallel. Tie off the PT fibres and counter rib with the copper wire.
    Take a small pinch of pearl Spectra dubbing, roll it into a "rope" and secure the rope behind the bead. Fold over to form a bubble which will represent the adult insect emerging from his shuck.

Step 5
    Take one dun coloured CDC feather, clamp one side in a Marc Petitjean clip, insert into thread loop, spin and wrap the CDC hackle/collar. Keep the CDC fairly sparse and extending to just behind the bend.

Step 6
    Form a dubbing brush with some very rough squirrel and wrap the thorax. Brush the dubbing backwards once done and whip finish.

Finito - Just add water.

I like this fly! Well done MC.
    Rob

really like that, nice SBS
    "His fishing was not a sport, nor solely a means of subsistence, but a sort of solemn sacrament and withdrawal from the world."

Eesh wena. verry pretty
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Hi MC

This looks brilliant. I'm definately going to tie a few for the Highlands - they should work great. I love the "loose" wingcase suggesting emergance.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Nice one MC
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius