Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What Fly Line

Question What Fly Line

Hi All,

I am wanting to buy WF5F & WF5S fly lines and backing (I have an Xplorer XPC 56 reel).. What lines do any of you recomend, I have asked a few shops and they tell me the lines they sell are the best..(Budget about R500 - R600 per line excluding backing).

Any help will help

Thanks

Andrew

I would most definately say go for the Sci-Anglers XPS or GPX ranges. If you are looking for a wonderful distance casting line, then look no further than the XD line - really great product, well worth the money you'll spend.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Andrew, what type of fishing are u going to use the line for?

I just love the Cortland 444. My fishing is mostly in small streams (3wt) and trout stilwaters (6wt) Used to use Fairply fot Yellowfish, but would also use the 444 for my next yellowfish trip.

I have the Jim Teeny WF5F line and am very pleased with it. Well within your budget.

Personally I would rather get a intermediate than a sinking line. I have the Rio Lake WF5I. Also well within your budget.

Eish, here we go again...how long is a piece of string????
    Line choice can be as complex and technical as rod choice.
    For me it comes down to memory properties , and the amount of streatch for the application.
    I wouldn't mind looking at the new Stealth 6th sense lines, although i have no information on them, I kind of like the idea of limited streatch in certain applications, although reason tells me that non streatch lines may not be the best casting lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I wouldn't mind looking at the new Stealth 6th sense lines, although i have no information on them, I kind of like the idea of limited streatch in certain applications, although reason tells me that non streatch lines may not be the best casting lines.
    Andre, I think you are refering to the Airflo line? Great line. Will be getting a 6wet floater in 2 weeks time for some testing. Absolutely love my Di5
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Booger Rose Banned User

Application is the most important isue when deciding on what line when. For general I would also go for an intermediate before a sinking line.
    Regarding linestretch and castability, try the new line on your rod. I know most of the flyshops cater for you to cast the rod before you buy. I'm sure they will give you option of trying the line on your own rod before you buy.
    MHO is that the reel is not that important in most cases - again aplication - except when fishing for yellows and salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Andre, I think you are refering to the Airflo line? Great line. Will be getting a 6wet floater in 2 weeks time for some testing. Absolutely love my Di5
    Ok, well if it's an Airflo, then the only one I have experience with is the yellowfish line, and it is awesome for CZN'ing for yellows. The 6th sense may not be that different.

The Intermediate Airflo 6th sense and Snobee XS lines were rated "best on test" by TROUT magazine in their April/May issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dar View Post
    The Intermediate Airflo 6th sense and Snobee XS lines were rated "best on test" by TROUT magazine in their April/May issue.
    I wonder what the criteria were, and what other lines were testd. As I said I have limited experience with Airflo lines, but i have heared that their memory properties in some cases are horrendous.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast