2 4.76%
  • Stealth Ultralight

9 21.43%
  • Other

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reel below R1000 3wt Poll

Default Reel below R1000 3wt Poll

oK Guys following on from my earlier thread thought i would run a poll.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

I'm not knocking the reels on the list you've got, but I voted for 'Other' being the Orvis Battenkill disc drag reel. This is allegedly the most popular fly reel saleswise worldwide. the '3/4' is 4 oz, 2.7/8'' diameter, exposed rim with a proper drag for 2/5 wt lines. They retail for about sixty quid so in your price range. They are hugely reliable. The beauty with this reel, is that it can be used on the streams and double up as a dam trout or yellowfish reel using heavier line. I have had the range of Orvis CFO (slightly pricier) reels for yonks and never had one malfunction in the slightest.

++

As an aside:
    If you can get your hands on an old Ryobi Magnesium 255 or 355 on auction off the web and it's in good nick (excuse the pun) they're great for small-stream fishing - ultralight and great value, but a tendency to 'dent' as the magnesium's a bit soft. I still have my functional 255 which I use as a back-up for my 1,2 and 3 wt rods.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I'm not knocking the reels on the list you've got, but I voted for 'Other' being the Orvis Battenkill disc drag reel. This is allegedly the most popular fly reel saleswise worldwide. the '3/4' is 4 oz, 2.7/8'' diameter, exposed rim with a proper drag for 2/5 wt lines. They retail for about sixty quid so in your price range. They are hugely reliable. The beauty with this reel, is that it can be used on the streams and double up as a dam trout or yellowfish reel using heavier line. I have had the range of Orvis CFO (slightly pricier) reels for yonks and never had one malfunction in the slightest.

++

As an aside:
    If you can get your hands on an old Ryobi Magnesium 255 or 355 on auction off the web and it's in good nick (excuse the pun) they're great for small-stream fishing - ultralight and great value, but a tendency to 'dent' as the magnesium's a bit soft. I still have my functional 255 which I use as a back-up for my 1,2 and 3 wt rods.
    As always Chris,some great info,

Guys can i ask if you vote other please state reason

Cheers Nick
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Hi Nick,

I selected biocraft but relised I have the Shimano Ultegra 3/4

Do You get the biocraft in 2/3?

I use the reel on a 4/5WT rod, very solid reel, the ultegra, smooth drag, and can stop a "small" bus. I think the 3/4 ultegra is a bit heavy for a 3wt rod, and don't know how it compairs to the biocraft weight wise. Attached is a pic of a "small" bus that I landed on a 4/5WT rod with the 3/4 reel, actually felt really bad that day as it took me quite a few minutes to land the bugger... will not be using that light outfit at Jonkers again...

Quote Originally Posted by srt007 View Post
    Hi Nick,

I selected biocraft but relised I have the Shimano Ultegra 3/4

Do You get the biocraft in 2/3?

I use the reel on a 4/5WT rod, very solid reel, the ultegra, smooth drag, and can stop a "small" bus. I think the 3/4 ultegra is a bit heavy for a 3wt rod, and don't know how it compairs to the biocraft weight wise. Attached is a pic of a "small" bus that I landed on a 4/5WT rod with the 3/4 reel, actually felt really bad that day as it took me quite a few minutes to land the bugger... will not be using that light outfit at Jonkers again...
    Hi Shawn, thats a big fish, i am going to Jonkershoek or Eikendal on Monday, if you fancy coming along let me know.
    James Boswell.

The Biocraft is basically just a LA variant of the original Ultegra, lighter and nicer, same quality drag, machining & all over feel.

I sincerely doubt that for WC stream fishing drag or in fact ... the reel ... plays much of a role though, my bet would be to get the smallest, lightest, etc.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Hi Shawn, thats a big fish, i am going to Jonkershoek or Eikendal on Monday, if you fancy coming along let me know.
    Thanks for the invite Nick, but I've been off for a week, (was in hospital) so don't think I'll be able to get Monday off as I have to be back at work tomorrow, then getting my teeth fixed on Friday, and ond have 0 days leave on my name

Let me know when you go over a week-end, I'll go with any time

Quote Originally Posted by srt007 View Post
    Thanks for the invite Nick, but I've been off for a week, (was in hospital) so don't think I'll be able to get Monday off as I have to be back at work tomorrow, then getting my teeth fixed on Friday, and ond have 0 days leave on my name

Let me know when you go over a week-end, I'll go with any time
    No worries, will look at next weekend, hope you are Ok after your accident,will chat Saturday at the Braai if you are going.
    James Boswell.

I've selected the Biocraft because of "respect", but the Bugatti is at a very close second. I bought a Bugatti from Mike a wile ago and let me tell you, that thing is a beaut!!!

PS: where do you get the Biocraft for under a ton, I've been to many shoppes and they usualy much more than a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    I've selected the Biocraft because of "respect", but the Bugatti is at a very close second. I bought a Bugatti from Mike a wile ago and let me tell you, that thing is a beaut!!!

PS: where do you get the Biocraft for under a ton, I've been to many shoppes and they usualy much more than a ton.
    CJ I will check again with my local shops tomorrow and confirm the pricing tomorrow evening.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast