Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 9 X 9 Challenge

I know Phillip has access to a dam in the ceres area where CW yellows were transferred from a dried up river system (or something like that?) Mr Meyer can clarify that! And Gerard has access to a dam with stocked trout and CW Yellows in it. I dont know of any other CW yellows having been caught at Bulshoek on fly before, although my friend, who has a house on Bulshoek (they have been going there every second odd weekend for the past 15 years) has seen 3 CW yellows caught there- one on lure and two that were caught with live bluegills (illegal freshwater fishing practice) that were rigged for sm bass.

So they are there- there just dont seem to be too many. Interestingly, two of tthe latter mentioned clanwilliams were caught last year.

very interesting indeed! I have always had a soft spot for the Bulshoek, having beached my very first bass there by rapidly retreating in the opposite direction with my rod over my shoulder at the age of 6. Anybody observing at the time would have thought that I was into a skipjack the way that fish hopped and skipped over the surface

Getting back to the original thread, it seems as if no-one has managed the 9 species of yellows in 9 days lately(if ever).
    How about a little compo? All 9 species in 9 months, or the closest to all 9 species in 9 months wins. Proven by pics with date & time imprints.
    Could maybe result in more of us yellow fanatics trying waters other than the Vaal for the other species. This could lead to "hidden jewels" being found due to the prospecting for the other species.
    A buddy of mine who has "Geele Koors" really badly found to his delight that there are large scale Yellows, literally on his doorstep, out of pure frustration at not having the time to travel the 2 or so hours to the Vaal.
    What do you guys think?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Sort of carrying the thought over from the trout threads. (Poaching?) It seems that the Clanwilliam yellow is regarded by many as the king of yellows, why so
    Secondly has anyone ever successfully completed the 9 X 9 challenge? (All 9 species of yellows caught in 9 days
    Flip, i think that would be impossible. Too many variables..only time to do it would be during a big, countrywide drought and we havent had a big one since i was a lightie.....eish, challenge is an understatement. I think just getting those 9 species would be enough of a challenge. I only have 1..the scaly and it's a blimmin challenge on its own that thing! The last one i got was 2 years ago..The problem is they occur on rivers that are pretty risky to fish theft-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Getting back to the original thread, it seems as if no-one has managed the 9 species of yellows in 9 days lately(if ever).
    How about a little compo? All 9 species in 9 months, or the closest to all 9 species in 9 months wins.
    The original challenge was 9 species in 1 year, my seven are in 2 years so I've got to try again, but with a little planning it can be done, but do it quick, 2 of the species will be gone in a couple of year or so... they do not have a viable breeding population and are RED data'ed... with little chance of rehabilitation.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5