Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Eikendal Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Hi Nick.
    That was well done considering the wind there yesterday, I have had success of late with a soft hackle streamer and a no hackle bugger it may have a name but that is what I call it. It is good to see fish comming out in all weather conditions
    Cheers
    Cheers Ian,good to see you on the forum you can help with the cooking tips,i saw you pull one out early in the day,did you have any others?
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Booger Rose Banned User

Fished Eikendal today and what a day. Started about 09:00, saw a lot of fish but nothing to take the fly. Started of on my normal olive Wooly Bugger but even this trusted fly did not bring in the goods. The wind started to pick up around 10:30 and I tied on a big red eye damsel, second cast I got the faintest of nibbles but couldn't connect. made another cast with the wind en counted a slow 30 (fishing a floating line) and just give a small twitch - VAS! a lekker fight, released the fish, made the next cast and VAS! Lost this fish but thought I cracked the code. not to be I caught my next fish about 14:00 and then had a bit of fun between 16:00 and 17:30. took 6 fish in total but lost two - these two took the hardest and fought like devils. got broken of on both of them and will go back to try again.

The only flies that did anything were dragon nymphs, with red eye damsel being the best taker for the day. Didn't get any fish on a retrieve, only dead drift with a small twitch now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Fished Eikendal today and what a day. Started about 09:00, saw a lot of fish but nothing to take the fly. Started of on my normal olive Wooly Bugger but even this trusted fly did not bring in the goods. The wind started to pick up around 10:30 and I tied on a big red eye damsel, second cast I got the faintest of nibbles but couldn't connect. made another cast with the wind en counted a slow 30 (fishing a floating line) and just give a small twitch - VAS! a lekker fight, released the fish, made the next cast and VAS! Lost this fish but thought I cracked the code. not to be I caught my next fish about 14:00 and then had a bit of fun between 16:00 and 17:30. took 6 fish in total but lost two - these two took the hardest and fought like devils. got broken of on both of them and will go back to try again.

The only flies that did anything were dragon nymphs, with red eye damsel being the best taker for the day. Didn't get any fish on a retrieve, only dead drift with a small twitch now and again.

Nice report,will add red eye damsel to the list, i am going to have a box of flies made up from these reports just for Eikendal,i will figure out one day what makes those trout tick,but six is a good day,and i would have walked away from the water a happy man.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Afternoon Guys,Just got back from Eikendal and hear is my report.

Got there around 9ish,beutiful day today in the cape about 21c and a very light wind, I started fishing a few patterns that caught me fish the last time i was there, but had no luck got a few hits but no more,there was a school of about 20-30 fish swimming around the bank by the shop and i knew if i got the right fly it could be a good day.I must have tied on about 10 flies by 12ish but still no luck.....after lunch i tied on a white death and bingo....i left at 3 o'clock a very happy man after landing 8 fish losing 2 and several strikes which i should have had fish. Unfortunatly i had to kill one as it had taken the fly so deep that i could not remove it.....so OV1 trout is on the menu at my house tonight.
    James Boswell.

Well done Nick!

Will you wash down your OV1 trout with an 'Eikendal Muskadel'?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Well done Nick!

Will you wash down your OV1 trout with an 'Eikendal Muskadel'?
    I will certaily do that.i still have a bottle,for such an occassion
    James Boswell.

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Nicholas, nice going! 8 fish is great for Eikendal. Amazing how the fish seem to only go for one type of fly on a day. did you try nice big mayflies today? Seems I have to tie up a white death or two for my next trip. Enjoy your dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Hi Nicholas, nice going! 8 fish is great for Eikendal. Amazing how the fish seem to only go for one type of fly on a day. did you try nice big mayflies today? Seems I have to tie up a white death or two for my next trip. Enjoy your dinner.
    HE!! HE!!! Stillwater trout pulling a Fario on you guys. Not so easy after all.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

congrats nick. I didnt get any today, but I just love my new rod finally I can cast in windy conditions!
    There was a fish feeding in about a square meter. I tried to see what it was feeding on but could see it. finally gave up cause it kept ignoring my flies.
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

great stuff Nick!! .... glad to see you have finally beaten those !@#$%ing frustrating fish!!! (gather a Cats Whisker aka Pussy's Beard) didn't help?
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast