Thread: Mayfly Hatches This Winter ?

Default Mayfly Hatches This Winter ?

In the latest issue of one of the f/f mags there is a pic of " A typical winter Mayfly hatch on the Vaal". I have fished a lot this winter and have yet to see such a massive hatch.
    Have I been in the wrong place at the wrong time?
    What have been your experiences this winter thus far as far as mayfly hatches are concerned?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Huge hatches except on certain days ... at times the water has been literally blanketed with BWO and PMD variants and ofcourse all manner of TAN/Natural HE/Black MF and even Tricos on occasion.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I havn't fished the Vaal in winter so far this year (Ag, shame...) but from my old records, various Baetidae adults in a wide range of muted colours in as Scythe says usually hatch in the warmer part of the day, especially when there is a breeze to assist their 'take-off'. PTN nymphs tied using pheasant tails dyed dark yellow (you can buy them this colour from the shops), emergers and adults in the size 12/16 bracket should do the job. Imitate the adults' colour to match what's on the water. Also bloodworm, midge pupae imitations (check the naturals' colour - usually small black, olive or claret this time of year, artificials also 12/16) and a simple Griffiths Gnat to imitate the adult midge clusters should work as well. These are the two predominant Vaal insect families in winter before the caddis wake up again.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

HI Flybum,

Good informative posting, well done. I'm sure new ff targeting yellows will enjoy this info.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Only one problem...there are many newcomers and novices that read these pages, and while they (the posts) are very informative, I doubt the guys know what "BWO" and "PMD" hatches are. I would refrain from all the abbreviations guys...just as a courtesy to the FF (oops...fly fishers) that don't know what you mean.

Just a thought...

Mike

After checking for patterns for the Blue Wing Olive and the Pale Morning Dun, I noticed that apart from from colour the difference between the 2 is very subtle.

Question: How important is the wing on these flies ? Do the fish actually see the wing above the water, or do they only see what's lying on the water?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Only one problem...there are many newcomers and novices that read these pages, and while they (the posts) are very informative, I doubt the guys know what "BWO" and "PMD" hatches are. I would refrain from all the abbreviations guys...just as a courtesy to the FF (oops...fly fishers) that don't know what you mean.

Just a thought...

Mike
    mIKE i second your idea.. i am new.. and see all these abreviations and have no idea what they mean..

andrew

I have been know to be very slow at times so please excuse me for making this useless comment but aren't the hackle supposed aid in 1.the fly riding on the surface? - 2. add to the silhouette (legs, wing touching water). Post in bright yarn/foam seems like the best option as it will aid in seeing the fly clearly, especially the size we are talking here.
    Just a thought
    No PAIN No Gain