Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9" 10" 11" Rods

Default 9" 10" 11" Rods

Hi to all

I would like some input and advice on rod lenghts.
    Having ordered a G-Loomis GLX high line speed rod 6weight in 9" i came across some articles where the people are now even using 11" rods.
    I need rod where i can czech nymph for smallies and have the benefit of using it for Largies and stillwater trout.
    Would a 10" foot rod be more beneficial than a 9" foot rod and would the only benefit be for czeching and possilbly casting the line a fraction further.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IVO View Post
    Hi to all

Having ordered a G-Loomis GLX high line speed rod 6weight in 9" i came across some articles where the people are now even using 11" rods.
    I need rod where i can czech nymph for smallies and have the benefit of using it for Largies and stillwater trout.
    Would a 10" foot rod be more beneficial than a 9" foot rod and would the only benefit be for czeching and possilbly casting the line a fraction further.

IVO, you do mean 9' (foot) instead of 9" (inches) right?? Sorry, just thought I'd point this out.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    IVO, you do mean 9' (foot) instead of 9" (inches) right?? Sorry, just thought I'd point this out.
    Ok Ok so my computer skills are not up to scratch.

So what is your thoughts on length.

There have been some other threads on this also.

For my money, get the right tool for the job.

10' rods are typically heavier than 9' rods (logically) so CZN with a 6WT 10' isn't as kind on your shoulder/tricep as a 5WT 10' would be and hunting LM with a 5WT is also just not cricket. Aditionally the 10' won't make you cast further than a 9', it's all down to technique.

Also though I like the 10', it won't make you better at CZN either, lots of guys don''t have the right balance between weight, sensitivity and length and in that csse fishing a longer rod will actually be to your detriment, sometimes the extra length is nice, but it's not required to make you an expert CZN.

Get a very light (the lighter the better) 5WT 10' for CZN and Troot and a fast actioned 6WT or 7WT (preferably) for the LM.

My R0.02, YMMV.
    Last edited by Scythe; 25-07-08 at 09:16 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Lenght do not make you cast furhter.
    If you can cast with the right technique, 9' 10' or 11' should do the job and make you cast a full fly line.

When it comes to championship casting, the casters prefer a 9' rod as it "wobbles" less on the final cast when releasing the line. Thus the line in not impeded when running out of the rod.

When it comes to nymphing, IMHO, the longer the better. , with the fly line out at an angle to the water will probaly end up giving you more than between 3 and 5 feet extra of the water. That is less what you have to worry about line on the water with drag etc. The reach is also another issue. But read all the previous threads, there have been enough said about it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

6. Default

So what is your thoughts on length.
    My opinion on this is much the same as Scythe's. Get the proper tool for the proper application. Multi-purpose tools do everything OK, but nothing really great.

If you HAVE to have 1 rod for most applications though, get the 10' #5 as Scythe suggested - many brands to choose from!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi to all

In a 5 weight 9ft I fish the GLX high line speed for SM and the GLX max for Largies in suitable water. These are both awesome very reponsive fast action rods.

On lenght for distance - in the past Steve Rajeff used a 8 ft 6" GLX to set some amazing distance casting records - across the football field through a hole in the fence into a tea cup stuff. Basically your skill in conrolling loop size and line speed is 80% of the distance.

Even in a 11ft rod the high modulus GLX is still a fast action rod and would theoretically allow for more water coverage if you are czeching, although it might not be ideal for overgrown rivers and shorter more delicate presentations. If you want a compromise for all occasions the 10ft would be great choice - the alternative is to go fishing, like me, with enough rods strapped to your back to resemble a overgrown Porcupine.

Thank you very much for the advice.
    I have already ordered the 6weight 9 foot in high line speed.
    I could always change the order but i think from the forum i am happy with my purchase.

IVO

Good choice...a 9 foot rod is your best all-round length. 10 foot rods have their (small) place in fishing, but the 9 foot is all you wouold ever need.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    IVO

Good choice...a 9 foot rod is your best all-round length. 10 foot rods have their (small) place in fishing, but the 9 foot is all you wouold ever need.

Mike
    I think it should do the trick and being 6weight should hopefully have enough backbone to stop some Largies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast