Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Line Maintenance

Default Line Maintenance

Hi Guys, cleaned my reel an line last night and noticed that when i ran the line through a cloth there was some resistance in the line. Nothing wrong with the line but now its sqeaky clean it does not seem to run as smoothly.

what silicone product should i buy to make the line run like silk again.

Not near a fishing shop today,so any suggestions on something i can get from Pick N Pay.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Floater or a Sinker ?

For a floater, either get the proper line treatment pacs for your brand of line or if it's PVC/Polyeurethane get some WINS dashboard cleaner.

I'm also a big fan of Calzanetto Magic Sponge (clear shoe/leather treatment, find it at any P&P) I treat all my floaters with it in addition to treating my rods post cleaning etc. etc. etc. It really is like magic ... the line & rod becomes like silk, shrugs water & dirt.

Good stuff.
    Last edited by Scythe; 25-07-08 at 09:24 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Hi Guys, cleaned my reel an line last night and noticed that when i ran the line through a cloth there was some resistance in the line. Nothing wrong with the line but now its sqeaky clean it does not seem to run as smoothly.

Not near a fishing shop today,so any suggestions on something i can get from Pick N Pay.
    Mr. Min applied to lines works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Floater or a Sinker ?

For a floater, either get the proper line treatment pacs for your brand of line or if it's PVC/Polyeurethane get some WINS dashboard cleaner.

I'm also a big fan of Calzanetto Magic Sponge (clear shoe/leather treatment, find it at any P&P) I treat all my floaters with it in addition to treating my rods post cleaning etc. etc. etc. It really is like magic ... the line & rod becomes like silk, shrugs water & dirt.

Good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Mr. Min applied to lines works well.

Cheers Guys, its a floating line, will give the calzanetto a try, just for interest sake what is the proper line cleaner called??
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

loons line speed. i bought a bottle of silicone liquid from a mias hardware and works like a bomb. you better keep cleaning......you gonna need every edge you can get
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

a simple answer ... WYNN'S DASH ... it really works well ... cleans as well as gives a light non-sticky silicone coating
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

So, anyone rendered a fly line useless by testing cleaning products on them?

Hey Nick,

Last year I did a bit of experimenting with cleaning lines with various products.

Purpose made flyline cleaners and lubricants are expensive, and guys have mentioned a couple of alternatives like Wynn's Dash, Mr Min and a couple of other silicone based products. Some even mentioned using pure silicon liquid.

What I found was that initially all these products do a pretty good job at cleaning and lubricating the line, but after a while I noticed that the more I cleaned the lines with these products, the quicker they became dirty after use.

I also then thought back to my car, and thought about applying silicon based products to the black plastics and tyre walls, and how great they initially look, until you realise how this stuff attracts and holds the dirt.

I think it's the same with your line. The silicon in many of these products while initially cleaning and lubricating the line, actually attracts and holds more dirt.

As a result of this, I stopped using them and went back to using Loon's Line Speed cream to clean my floating lines, and Loon's StreamLine to lubricate them. While products like Wynn's dash may at first glance look like Stream Line, it's actually not the same at all. Stream line is actually a water based product.

After a regime of regular cleaning, like after every 2 uses I've noticed that my lines don't get nearly as dirty as they used to, and actually now require less frequent maintenance. The lubricating properties of Stream Line also lasts significantly longer than any other product I have tried.

For intermediate and sinking lines I used Loon's Sink Fast, which is also great.

I dunno, but for me all these other products are a bit of a case of goedkoop is duurkoop. Imagine what a line coated with silicon and dust does to your rod's guides.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Hey Nick,

Last year I did a bit of experimenting with cleaning lines with various products.

Purpose made flyline cleaners and lubricants are expensive, and guys have mentioned a couple of alternatives like Wynn's Dash, Mr Min and a couple of other silicone based products. Some even mentioned using pure silicon liquid.

What I found was that initially all these products do a pretty good job at cleaning and lubricating the line, but after a while I noticed that the more I cleaned the lines with these products, the quicker they became dirty after use.

I also then thought back to my car, and thought about applying silicon based products to the black plastics and tyre walls, and how great they initially look, until you realise how this stuff attracts and holds the dirt.

I think it's the same with your line. The silicon in many of these products while initially cleaning and lubricating the line, actually attracts and holds more dirt.

As a result of this, I stopped using them and went back to using Loon's Line Speed cream to clean my floating lines, and Loon's StreamLine to lubricate them. While products like Wynn's dash may at first glance look like Stream Line, it's actually not the same at all. Stream line is actually a water based product.

After a regime of regular cleaning, like after every 2 uses I've noticed that my lines don't get nearly as dirty as they used to, and actually now require less frequent maintenance. The lubricating properties of Stream Line also lasts significantly longer than any other product I have tried.

For intermediate and sinking lines I used Loon's Sink Fast, which is also great.

I dunno, but for me all these other products are a bit of a case of goedkoop is duurkoop. Imagine what a line coated with silicon and dust does to your rod's guides.
    Makes a lot of sense Shaun,think i will invest in some line cleaner
    James Boswell.

Cheers Guys, its a floating line, will give the calzanetto a try, just for interest sake what is the proper line cleaner called??
    Scientific Anglers makes a cleaning kit for floating lines. It comes with a cleaning pad and a treatment gel for afterwards. It works very well and the line stays slick for quite some time. I bought mine in thw US for $5, not too sure who sells them in SA.

For a sinking line, I run the line through an old scouring pad (on the back of the sponge) and a mild solution of sunlight liquid. Then rinse and dry. It's amazing how much gunk the scourer pad removes!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast