Default Leadwing Coachman

Hook:Mustad R50 size 12
    Thread:Black 14/0
    Tag:Gold Angel hair
    Body:3 strands Peacock Herl
    Hackle:Ginger
    Wings:Natural Gray Goose Quills

Step1
    Tie in thread by the eye and work it back to just past the hook point.

Step 2
    Tie in the gold Angel Hair,move thread about 0.5cm forward.Now wrap the angel hair forward till u reach the thread.Do a few wraps to secure the Angel hair.

Step 3
    Tie in 3 strands of Peacock Herl by their tips.

Step 4
    Grab the herls with ur hackle plier,twist them in a rope and wrap the rope forward till just past the thorax area.Bring ur thread forward through the wrapped body and secure.

Step 5
    Turn ur vice(jaw) upside down and now tie in the Ginger hackle.Only a small bunch is necessary.Let them extent just past the hook bend.The original has it quite short,I prefer mine to be a bit longer.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 27-07-08 at 10:41 PM.

Step 6
    Tie in the 1st goose quill.Remember to choose the right angled quills for each side of the fly.

Look at the pic.The feather on the left.U will be using the quills from the left side of this feather.

The feather on the right.For the 2nd wing to be tied in at the back(other side)u'll be using quills from the right side of the feather.

I don't measure the wing,if it looks right to me it is right.U will have to experiment with the width of the wings to suit the hook size.

Tie in the 1st quill on the nearest side first.The wings should be as long as the hook shank when u press it down.

Step 7
    Do the 2nd wing now on the other side

Step 8
    Tie off and whip finish.Cut off excess wing and apply head cement.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-07-08 at 07:20 AM.

HI Gerrit,

This was the fly that I mentioned some time back that I use when trout are eating snails. Just my wings differ slightly, shorter and thinner with sharper points.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

somebody was busy behind the tying desk and computer on Sunday. Fishing must be bad at the moment.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension