Lead Wire:0.030inch
    Body:Office rubber band
    Overstrips/Wingcase:Brown nymph skin
    Thorax:Chocolate Brown Hare's Ear dubbing
    Legs:Brown Deer Hair tips
    Marker for Body:Chartpak Dessert Tan
    Marker for wingcase:Chartpak Delta Brown

Step 1
    Debarb hook,slide bead over and insert the hook into the vice.Add ur 210 denier or 3/0 thread by the bead,do consecutive wraps back to the bend.

Step 2
    Add some glue to the wrappings from the bead to the bend.

Step 3
    Take a ruler and flatten the lead wire before tying it in.

Step 4
    Add the lead wire by starting at the bend,winding it forward in closely wrapped turns to the thorax area.Leave a small gap from the end of the thorax going forward and the bead.We'll sort this gap out later.

Step 5
    Cut a "v" into the rubber band before tying it in.

Step 6
    Tie in the v-shaped rubber band so that the point of this v face upwards to the point where the hook starts to straighten.Why?You're wrappings will be done ANTI CLOCKWISE.Remember to pull very tight ALL the time hence the thicker thread.Also,try and pull the rubber as hard and tight as possible all the time.

Step 7
    Wrap the rubber forward untill u reach the bead.Tighten the rubber as hard and tight as possible.Then move your thread back over the rubber band till u reach the end of the lead wire.(Remember u have a gap here,end the thread on top of the wire.Now u should pull like a madman to secure that rubber.

Step 8
    Use a sharp blade and cut the rubber that is directly on top and around that gap I was talking about earlier.Remember to leave a little bit of rubber,don't cut it to short.Too short a cut will result in the whole body coming loose.

Step 11
    Add some glue to the gap and thread wrappings that u used to secure the rubber.Also,now add some more lead wire to that gap till u reach the bead.Whip finish and tie of this thick thread.

Step 12
    Add ur brown 14/0 thread and tie in the wingcase.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-07-08 at 10:53 AM.

Step 13
    Form a dubbing loop,insert your twister and hold it with ur left hand.
    Move your tying thread to the bead.Add some choc brown dubbing,twist the whole lot and wrap it forward to the bead.Tie of dubbing loop and let your tying thread hang.

Step 14
    Turn your jaws upside down and tie in a few brown Deer Hair strands.This will be your legs.

Turn it back up

Step 19
    Pull your wingcase over,do a few wraps,whip finish and tie off.Clip excess skin and add some head cement.

Step 20
    Now comes the coloration.Dessert tan for the top of the caddis body and Delta Brown for the wingcase.DO NOT color the abdomen of this fly.Once you've done the markings,you're almost done.Tease out some of the dubbed thorax hairs,getting rid of any unwanted loose hair.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-07-08 at 12:27 PM.

Bottom view

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-07-08 at 12:49 PM.

Thumbs up

Gerrit, that really does look great! Thanks!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Gerrit, that really does look great! Thanks!
    Pleasure Matt,

I tie them in Olive and Salmon pink as well.The success IMO of this fly is the thicker and wider rubber.The segentation is unbelievable.

Also,a packet of these rubbers will set u back only R7 for 100 bands.What I also like is the neutral color of the rubber bands.They take any colored marker really really well.

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-07-08 at 10:51 AM.

Nice looking fly...
    But I could never tie on a desk that looks like that... too much clutter, just me.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Another helpful tip I can give....If u don't have a dubbing twister make ur own.

Take an empty spool of thread,insert one of them paper clips into the hole of the spool and bend the ends of the clip to the desired angle.

Fill the gap with epoxy,let dry and start spinning

G

Ps.I chose to epoxy 2 spools together instead of just one.I have big hands.

Nice one Gerrit, does the elastic affect the sink rate at all?
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Nice one Gerrit, does the elastic affect the sink rate at all?
    Hi Rory,

I suppose it does a little bit,this is def not one of the heavest Controllers around.U can add another smaller tungsten bead at the thorax area,thinner lead and more wraps.

But either way,u HAVE to pull that rubber as hard as possible to make it more slender.This fly is still heavy enough for the majority of times.

G

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast