Thread: 'Hunting Trout' deluxe collectors edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 'Hunting Trout' deluxe collectors edition

A special limited edition of 100 leather hand-bound copies of the extremely popular 'Hunting Trout', printed on imported art paper and each individually numbered and signed by Dr Tom Sutcliffe, is being proposed. Tom would like to get a feel from collectors of rare fly fishing literature what they would be prepared to pay for something like this.

Based on my recent involvement in the printing of 100 leather bound copies of 'History of the Kruger Park' that fetched R10000 per set of three volumes, and all sold out within a week from the launch, I would say the deluxe edition of Hunting Trout should be pitched at R3000 a copy. Bear in mind, this is a special limited collectors edition, and as such will have huge appeal amongst collectors of fine rare fly fishing literature. What do you guys think?

Your thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Look, I am no collector of rare items, but if I had the money I would buy it, it is a superb book in its own, add some nice binding and it will be nice to collect, would I be a collector.

I however buy to use, read ten times, till the book falls apart.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

What we are trying to establish here is a reasonable price to ask for something that there will only be 100 of at the end of the day. Bear in mind, a book like the original standard 'Rapture of the River' was limited to 200 copies, and these are like hens teeth today, fetching more than R2000 a book if you are lucky enough to find one
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I can get you a signed copy with origanal loose pictures in the book for about R3000

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    What we are trying to establish here is a reasonable price to ask for something that there will only be 100 of at the end of the day. Bear in mind, a book like the original standard 'Rapture of the River' was limited to 200 copies, and these are like hens teeth today, fetching more than R2000 a book if you are lucky enough to find one
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Ok, so maybe I'm aiming a bit high, but the production costs of producing a one off print run of only 100 copies makes the unit cost astronomically high (bearing in mind this will be a fresh printing from start to finish, i.e. it is not a run on of the previous edition), and there is absolutely no advertising to offset this cost, as is the case with magazines. For the book to become a viable reality, it would have to be pitched at nothing less than R2000.

A bit more about the book; No corners will be cut in the production of this book. Printing will be of the highest quality using state of the art high end presses.The text stock will be an imported 115gsm silk art paper. The hard cover will be quarter leather bound with ribbing and gold foiling on the spine. The rest of the cover material will be genuine cloth/linen with an inset picture and more gold foiling and embossing. The book will include printed end papers of one of Tom's watercolours. A ribbon will be bound into the thread sewn spine. Finally, the book will come in a sturdy slipcase. Limited to 100 hand numbered and signed copies only, I personally think it would be an absolute bargain at R2000 a book.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 28-07-08 at 10:51 PM.

Chris, knowing nothing about how much "collectables", cost {except ex-wives } and rareities (sp), but knowing how much you pay for " The African Flyfishing Handbook" in a Flyshop , I would gladly pay 2k for this limited edition. ( Wish I could afford it, I would be first on the list)

After all, how much would you pay for an original Hardy split cane rod today?

Within 10 years, never mind 40 what would you pay for this limited edition?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    A special limited edition of 100 leather hand-bound copies of the extremely popular 'Hunting Trout', printed on imported art paper and each individually numbered and signed by Dr Tom Sutcliffe, is being proposed. Tom would like to get a feel from collectors of rare fly fishing literature what they would be prepared to pay for something like this.

Based on my recent involvement in the printing of 100 leather bound copies of 'History of the Kruger Park' that fetched R10000 per set of three volumes, and all sold out within a week from the launch, I would say the deluxe edition of Hunting Trout should be pitched at R3000 a copy. Bear in mind, this is a special limited collectors edition, and as such will have huge appeal amongst collectors of fine rare fly fishing literature. What do you guys think?

Your thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated
    Chris,
    I think this is a brailliant idea. This book is a milestone in South African literature, which provides excellent reading. I can think its fitting to celebrate it his book in the proposed fashion. The asking price is reasonable given that it will be a collectors item and hence it would not be treated as anyother reading book, collectors will probably have a copy of the standard edition anyway.

My 2c

It is a true treasure of south african fly fishing literature and should fetch a good price.

I bought a copy of Gary Borger's Limited edition of Presentation - 250 signed and numbered copies. He Charged me $110.00 excluding postage. I would imagine Dr Sutcliffe's book could be put in the same price range.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Chris,Been doing some reasearsh on Flyfishing LTD edition books and i think a $300 price tag for a collectors edition is far. Found this interesting website,http://www.dryflies.com/books.htm
    Maybe Craig fom netbooks could shed some light on a price.

Just a foot note, my father donated his collection of limited edition military uniform books to Sandhurst, i know that the leather bound limited edition reprints that where colour plates as opposed to the black and white in the first print copies use to go for anything upwards up 400 pound a book
    Last edited by nicholas; 28-07-08 at 07:06 PM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.