Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cats Whisker

Thanks Grant

I just showed Estelle

Before asking what's said and done before I did a search on the "Cats Whisker" fly, and came across this, Ian's SBS...nice one.

Following the thread, came to Byrons comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I often tie it with bead chain eyes rather than the bead.
    Now my Q: you often see the commercial version with the bead chain eyes tied ON TOP of the hook shank - surely this is technically incorrect (although it still catches fish ) because won't the extra weight make the fly roll over and swim upisde down?

Shouldn't the bead chain be tied in UNDER the hook shank, or is the top wing enough to keep the fly upright?
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

I'm not sure what is right or wrong in this case - but it catches fish. Although it's been a long time since I've tied one on my line. The are in "fly box 13" with a bunch of other flies that are now passed over too frequently.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quick on the draw there B....!

Agreed, not sure what's "correct" or not, as the commercial one's I used to buy with the bead chain on top still caught me fish, that's for sure.

I need to make up some and chuck 'em in the pool and see how they swim.

EDIT: another search, found Nicholas' thread here:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=cats+whisker

and a pattern on FlyTalk here:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/FlyTalkflyView.php?id=17

The pattern info had this to say regarding one of the pics with the bead chain on TOP:

"The pattern above has been tied with the eyes on top of the hook shank and the wing below the shank. This pattern rides hook point up and works well when fishing over rocky bottoms, since the fly is less prone to snagging on the bottom."

followed by another pic with the bead chain also top, but the wing tied in UNDERNEATH.

Interesting...
    Last edited by JanK; 12-08-09 at 03:11 PM.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Nice! I found that a all white version (almost like a White Death with a tail) also works lekker. A pattern like that tied on a salty hook with cactus chenille should also job lekker in the salt?

Yip very much like a white death - I tied them in either white or green and orange. All with bead chain on the top so that they don't hook up on the bottom.

They still seem to catch fish.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

I tie a variation of this fly for targeting catfish.I use cactus chenille for body and darker marabou.I also tie it with bumbell eyes if i need the weight but it is best fished with a bit on lead wire under the body and no bead/eye.I use a size 2 to 4 bass bug hook.Sinks at a nice slow rate for subsurface action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Step 2
    Wrap cotton to the bend. Spin the cotton and create a little bump. Wrap cotton to the hook point and wrap some white marabou fibers in.
    Hi Ian,

I know this sbs was posted a while ago but interested to know why you create a thread bump for this pattern? This technique is normally used for splaying tails on mayflies (dries and nymphs) and I wondered what effect (if any) it has when tying with marabou?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2