Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Extended Body CDC Mayfly DUN - SBS

Default Extended Body CDC Mayfly DUN - SBS

Extended Body Mayfly – CDC

Hook: #16 Gamakatsu C12U/B
    Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0 Tan
    Tail/Abdomen: Deer hair – approx 8 fibres (depending on fly size)
    Thorax: Dubbed CDC
    Wing: 2 x CDC Tufts

Step 1:
    Place a needle in your vise. This will be used to make the extended body from the deer hair. Attached your thread:

Step 2:
    Take about 8 deer hair fibers (depending on the size of fly you are tying), and tie onto the needle.

Step 3:
    Rib the deer hair with the thread. Make sure you surround the needle with deer hair. This will ensure that you get a nice round body.

Step 4:
    Apply a small amount of Dave’s Fleximent or Superglue to the entire body, and wait for it to dry halfway. Then pull the body off of the needle.

Step 5:
    Place your hook in the vise, attach your thread, and cover the shank of the hook with thread.
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 06-06-08 at 08:43 AM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Step 6:
    Tie in your deer hair body onto the hook. Take 2 tufts of CDC (colour of choice – I prefer light colours for visibility on the water, and also to imitate to translucent wing of the mayfly DUN). I do not “post” the tufts, because I want the wing to be able to move around and not be too stiff at it’s base.

Step 7:
    Dub a small amount of CDC dubbing onto your thread.

Step 8:
    Dub the body of the pattern. I prefer to make a fairly large head with the thread behind the hook eye. It somehow just balances the pattern in my mind – not required.

Step 9:
    Whip finish the head.

Step 10:
    Trim the tails of the pattern, leaving 3-4 of the fibers as tails.

General:
    This fly floats like a cork due to the combination of deer hair and CDC. I prefer to use a hook with protrudes well into the water, and where the gape is free of the actual materials. This ensures a proper “ride” in the water, and will ensure proper hook-ups as well. The added “weight” of the low hook will also ensure that the fly rides the correct way up.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Nice Pattern Mario! Thanks.

Now that is what I call an awesome fly!!

Very nice fly!!

Thanks Troep. Floats damn well, is very visible and takes fish!!! Easy to tie as well.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Very nice fly! I am going to give it a go as soon as I can find some decent deer hair! The stuff seems to be scarce now days, or am I looking at all the wrong places?

Rob

Thanks Mario
    Wish I had it yesterday then we could have attempted it last night at the tying session. Looks like a lekka fly.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Nice fly boet. Here's a little tip. Put a thin strip of copper wire in-between the deerhair. You can then manipulate the hair to a nice curvy shape. Not necessary but does add another dimension to the fly and does not affect the floatability too much.
    Thats the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnt good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Thanks for that !

Was waiting to see when you'd post it

Will be definitely tying this pattern in preperation for the next onslaught!

Shaun

Excellent pattern.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast