Default Emerging Caddis

Sparkle Pupa

Hook:Tiemco 2487 size 14
    Thread:Olive 14/0
    Tail:SF Fibres Olive
    Body:SF Fibres Olive
    Wing:Natural Antelope
    Head:Synthetic Bronze Peacock

This is a great caddis pupa pattern.Originally tied by Gary Lafontaine.I've changed the dressing to suit my needs and also experimented with different materials.

Step 1
    Debarb hook,place hook in vice,add tying thread and wrap the thread to the bend of the hook.Tie in a very small bunch actually just a few fibres of SF fibre blend.This will act as ur tail.Cut off the excess material.Trim the tail to about a hook length.

Step 2
    Tie in a bunch of SF fibres on the top part of the shank.Turn ur vice upside down and do the same for the underside.

This material is excellent,it gives a shine which easily immitates the shine when these flies pupate plus offcourse the color,that being olive.

The addition of flash added to the olive fibres makes it perfect for use without having to add all sorts of other materials together.These packets of SF fibre blend come prepacked with the olive and flash already mixed.

Step 3
    Turn vice back up,clip the fibres at and angle,parallel to the shank.This way u won't have to worry about a bulky body.

Step 4
    Pull the fibres that u tied in ontop of the shank back over itself to the thorax area and secure with thread.Tease the fibres out a bit,u want to create a bubble effect.

Do the same with the fibres from the underside and secure with thread.

Step 5
    Tie in a clump of Antelope Hair.This will form the wing.Carefull!!! These hairs are very brittle and break easily.The colour of the natural Antelope is perfect for this pattern plus the hollow hair is unmatchable i.t.o floatability.Substitude material to be used is Deer Hair or Elk.

The wing should be a tad longer than the hook when pressed down.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 29-07-08 at 05:48 PM.

Step 6
    Clip all excess material(The hair and the fibres that hung over the eye)Let the bobbin hang.

Add some dubbing and complete the head.The head should be darker than the body.I used bronze peacock here.

The finished fly

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 29-07-08 at 05:39 PM.

Very nice Gerrit, loving your contributions!
    Rob

You being in PTA, I assume mainly use for yellows?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You being in PTA, I assume mainly use for yellows?
    No no,u can use this pattern for Trout too.This pattern originated in the states where they fish for Trout just as we do.

Depending on the specie,u will have to change the body color and or maybe a darker wing.

Stick to olive and cream for the body.That will cover most situations.

G

HI Gerrit,

Yet another very good fly, see, this is what the forum missed in your absence. Keep them rolling bru.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Babyson View Post
    Very nice Gerrit, loving your contributions!
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Gerrit,

Yet another very good fly, see, this is what the forum missed in your absence. Keep them rolling bru.

Dave
    Thanks guys

G

Hi Gerrit, nice pattern - will tie a few for the season, guarenteed. Question though, why clip the wing? Would it not be better to have the tips of the hair form the wing?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Hi Gerrit, nice pattern - will tie a few for the season, guarenteed. Question though, why clip the wing? Would it not be better to have the tips of the hair form the wing?
    Quite correct Mario,I did clip them but only a bit.I kid u not,only about a 1mm.

The thing with Antelope hair is that almost the whole strand is hollow.My cutting was just to straighten them slightly.U should really check out these hairs.

But as u say,if I straightend the hair properly in the beginning,I would not have had to cut them,basicly a small tying error.It won't effect the effectiveness of the fly though.

Check out the hollow hair.Almost right to the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Mario,

I use a lot of this antelope hair. You can get it from BearlodgeAngler. It is honestly the best hair for spinning that I have ever used.

However, the environment where this antelope comes from is very steep and rocky, and as a result, you'll find that most of the tips of the hairs are damaged. You can clearly see this in Gerrit's photo above. This makes it pretty useless for stacking, hair wings etc.

For a pattern like this one that Gerrit has tied, I think he'd be better off using another type of hair with a nice tips, that could be nicely stacked to form the wing.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 30-07-08 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast