Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Emerging Caddis

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    You can clearly see this in Gerrit's photo above.
    Yip ur right.

Or,u can carefully select or pick out the nice ones which is quite time consuming. (Which I didn't do)

G

... the environment where this antelope comes from is very steep and rocky, and as a result, you'll find that most of the tips of the hairs are damaged. You can clearly see this in Gerrit's photo above. This makes it pretty useless for stacking, hair wings etc.
    Did see that, thought he was hard on his hair

For a pattern like this one that Gerrit has tied, I think he'd be better off using another type of hair with a nice tips, that could be nicely stacked to form the wing.
    Why stick to deer/hair? Snowshoe, treated Z-lon etc. For many of my Adult Caddis pattern I use a treated (hydrostop) Z-Lon wing - work magic!!!

I should really bring my tying stuff to work!! Now use trying to tie at home nowadays - too busy being domesticated
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Why stick to deer/hair? Snowshoe, treated Z-lon etc. For many of my Adult Caddis pattern I use a treated (hydrostop) Z-Lon wing - work magic!!!

I should really bring my tying stuff to work!! Now use trying to tie at home nowadays - too busy being domesticated
    No reason to stick to deer hair, I just meant that if you're wanting to tie in a stacked hair wing, there are better types to use for this purpose, but as a spinning hair, the stuff Gerrit's using has no equal in my book.

Sorry about the domestication. Fortunately I got it in writing that mine would not try to domesticate me before we got married !

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Yip ur right.

Or,u can carefully select or pick out the nice ones which is quite time consuming. (Which I didn't do)

G
    Nee man ! That sounds like hard work. Use this stuff for spinning bodies etc, and use another hair for collars, wings etc and you'll get a much better result, I promise you !

Just an edit, I prefer hairs that don't flair too much for hair wings. Thinks like Elk, Comparadun etc work best for me.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 30-07-08 at 09:13 AM.

Sorry about the domestication. Fortunately I got it in writing that mine would not try to domesticate me before we got married !
    In case you missed it ...

Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Pfft ! I've already arranged that I am responsible for casting, fly tying and fishing lessons, and she will do the nappy changing, feeding, etc etc.

Pfft ! I've already arranged that I am responsible for casting, fly tying and fishing lessons, and she will do the nappy changing, feeding, etc etc.
    I hijacked - continue here - http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...2967#post92967
    Mario Geldenhuys

Congratulations
    Obviously you where not enough away on fishing trips, this is when things like your photo, happen when you are at home Just jokes. Sure you will be very happy with the youngster.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Your first? Congrats in any case! Lekker nie slaap nie!

Quote Originally Posted by dar View Post
    Your first? Congrats in any case! Lekker nie slaap nie!
    Nah, 2nd (www.logangeldenhuys.co.za)
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2