Stalks/Eyes:4.5kg Mono
    Eye Coating:UV knot
    Tail:Gadwall Feathers
    Pinchers:Gadwall Feathers
    Head:Hare's Ear dubbing
    Ribbing:Clear Vrib small or clear mono.
    Legs:Natural Gray Emu Feathers
    Top of body coating:UV knot

This is not a nymph as such.We can move it to the appropriate category later on.

One of my own creations.This fly will immitate the Vaal shrimp very very well fished amongs Hyacinth.

The Vaal shrimp is very much translucent but with the odd shade of brown.The Emu wrapping,coated with Epoxy or UV knot gives u both the brown/gray and translucent effect.

Step 1
    Debarb hook,place hook in vice.Add some lead wire(remember to flattern the lead first) from the bend of the hook to just before the tail area.I'm working from left to right here.Add some glue and cover the gaps.

Step 2
    Add some thread and start building your bum off.You need to form a taper,thick at the head area to thinner working to the tail(to ur right)

Step 3
    Tie in 2 strands of mono in the middle of that thick taper.First the one closeby and then the other(far)side.These mono stalks should be about 3cm long once their tied in.Now trim the butt ends.

Step 4
    Wrap your thread forward(to your left) and once you get to almost the end I want you to cross the mono over making an "x". In effect the stalk the you tied in 1st on the nearest side will become your right stalk on the other side.The same with the other(far side) stalk.That one will become your left stalk.

Wrap your thread forward to infront of the stalks.

Step 5
    Turn your hook so that the bend face upwards.Tie in a substantial bunch of Gadwall feathers.These feathers have great coloration and design on them.Clip the excess off.

Step 6
    Add some dubbing to your thread and wrap it around the head area.Also to cover your previous tie in points.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 29-07-08 at 10:07 PM.

Step 7
    Tie in the V-rib ontop of the shank.Then tie in the Emu feather just infront of the V-rib(we're going to work from left to right now)

Step 8
    Wrap the Emu to your right,not in close consecutive turns,leave about a half a centimetre between the wrap.Secure with thread at the hook eye.Now wrap the V-rib to your right in between the Emu wrappings.Secure and clip the excess feather and the rib.

Step 9
    Trim the whole top end of the Emu feathers as short as possible.Carefull,don't cut your ribbing of either the rib or the feather.

Also,trim the underside of the fly nearest to the hook eye.Leave only the front portion of legs.

Step 10
    Cut a v into a Gadwall feather,this will form the tail.The thinking behind this method is for the feather not to obscure the hook eye once we want to add our tippet to the fly.Secure with thread exactly where the "v" begins.Tie off your thread.Almost done.

Step 11
    Add some UV knot to the eyes.Wait to dry by means of UV light.Color them with a black marker.

Step 12
    Add some UV knot to the whole top end of the body.Not on the bottom.

Bottom/side view

Finished fly.

I like it! The gills may be a bit long, hey?

Looks like a nice fly though, nicely done! Must be the inispiration from that fantastic vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    fantastic vise.

Can't argue with that...

Mike,if I have to very critical of the fly I would say that the legs are too long,the stalks are WAYYYYYY to long plus the pinchers.

But it's a good suggestive pattern so I doubt whether the fishies would mind the excessiveness.

G

Ps.Having said that,macro snaps make everything look so much bigger and longer than they realy are.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Can't argue with that...

Mike,if I have to very critical of the fly I would say that the legs are too long,the stalks are WAYYYYYY to long plus the pinchers.

But it's a good suggestive pattern so I doubt whether the fishies would mind the excessiveness.

G

Ps.Having said that,macro snaps make everything look so much bigger and longer than they realy are.
    Sometimes when the legs or "suggestive" points on a fly is exagerated it's a good thing, and triggers a responce from the fish. So it can only be a good thing.

You seriously tie on a size 2 mustad circle

I get nervous my flies are too big tying on a number 6 circle!!!
    Check your knots!