Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange report back

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Kevin...Andre......could one specifically target these largemouths?or are there certain areas that you fish that will just hold smallies only?
    Hi Steve. Yes you can specifically target them, in fact most largies that are caught are specifically targeted. They are also caught while nymphing for smallies, however, but this is the exception. Largie targeting from a drifting boat is a very popular persuit on the Vaal in winter, and there are several threads about this. largie targeting in the Orange is a lot of fun, as there are many place we go to for this , where you can sight fish them in the evenings and early mornings. The rest of the day, you would pretty much be casting blind into likely lies.

Mmmmmm........Cox says they fight harder than leeries......I think i might be taking you up on a future trip.....dont know how to do the czech story...so ill just target the largies........when we going?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Mmmmmm........Cox says they fight harder than leeries......I think i might be taking you up on a future trip.....dont know how to do the czech story...so ill just target the largies........when we going?
    CZN' ing is something you can learn in a few minutes, and polish over a lifetime. If you go to a yellowfish water, you most certainly have to go for both.
    The next trip is the 17th to 21st September, and if the river stays low, will be epic.

Leeries are pussies compared to largies. The main thing that makes leeries easier, is that you generally have more water for the fish to run in. When you get a decent largie, and have to confine him in shallow water with structure all around, you will soon find out how good an angler you actually are.

Sounds and looks like an awesome trip, damn jealous.

Andre what was the water temp in that region? Just curious to know how much warmer/cooler it was as it seems like the fish were in pretty shallow water.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Sounds and looks like an awesome trip, damn jealous.

Andre what was the water temp in that region? Just curious to know how much warmer/cooler it was as it seems like the fish were in pretty shallow water.
    The water was surprisingly cold Byron, probably around 14 to 16 degrees.
    The fish were thick in the runs and rapids, with many of them with milt and spawning wounds. When I first felt the water temp, I was surprised that we found the fish where we did. It is becme obvious that they were into the beginnings of their first spring spawn. The flows of the Orange may have a lot to do with it, as it has been very high for a few months, and only dropped about a week or two ago. It would be interesting to compare the fish behavior to the Vaal at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The water was surprisingly cold Byron, probably around 14 to 16 degrees.
    The fish were thick in the runs and rapids, with many of them with milt and spawning wounds. When I first felt the water temp, I was surprised that we found the fish where we did. It is becme obvious that they were into the beginnings of their first spring spawn. The flows of the Orange may have a lot to do with it, as it has been very high for a few months, and only dropped about a week or two ago. It would be interesting to compare the fish behavior to the Vaal at the moment.
    Yeah it would, I'm going to probably head down to the river this Saturday, depending on what this cold front does. I'm anticipating that they will be in the deeper water as I think the temp is probably about 14-15 degrees, if that.

Vaal flows are nice and low here about 14 cumecs, so the vis should be decent, but I can't say for sure I haven't been to the river in months.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

thanks for the stunning report guys, it must have been k&k to have to start heading home after epic fishing like that.
    made my day, thanks
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    thanks for the stunning report guys, it must have been k&k to have to start heading home after epic fishing like that.
    made my day, thanks
    Rols- you have no idea. I was actually depressed when we had to pack up. I could get lost there for a month and still not want to leave.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Leeries are pussies compared to largies. .
    Thats only cause you were fishing with your 000
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast