Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange report back

I see that the flows on the Orange are down to 12 cumecs at Viools drift.
    This means that the De Hoop and Pooittjies will be even lower, with good clarity.
    If this forecast is correct, it is going to be epic. Wednesday to Sunday next week.....I will post the report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I see that the flows on the Orange are down to 12 cumecs at Viools drift.
    This means that the De Hoop and Pooittjies will be even lower, with good clarity.
    If this forecast is correct, it is going to be epic. Wednesday to Sunday next week.....I will post the report back.
    I shudder to think of the possibility of it being better...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

I'm shuddering in anticipation of our trip. 2 full days of fishing, while the rest of the party hike ùp the mountain.

OK guys Andre Tox et all I take back anything I ever said about the WPee.
    I'm packing my stuff - 5 nights left - to tie any magical last minute should've thought of that fly. Some report back will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    OK guys Andre Tox et all I take back anything I ever said about the WPee.
    I'm packing my stuff - 5 nights left - to tie any magical last minute should've thought of that fly. Some report back will be great.
    Where exactly are you going?

We arrived on the Orange at sunrise on Wednesday morning, and proceeded to fish our "rapid X" on the Naam side. We found the river to be way way lower than last month. Water warm, clear and looking good. The first few days yielded plenty of large healthy fish, from just about everywhere the fly was dropped. We got plenty, Wednesday afternoon and Thursday at Pooitjiespram were extremely productive, with Maddy, Kev, and I getting probably more than 100 fish each.
    Friday we set off for De Hoop, where we found the fishing somewhat slower. A cold wind had come up, and although we still managed plenty of fish, there was a noticeable slow down. Perhaps down to between 20 to 30 fish per day each.
    I have subsequently learned that a heavy frontal system had hit the Cape, and the edge of it went past Sprngbok. This may have caused the slow down.
    Anyway, it was a seriously awesome trip.

Noordoewer into the water at Norontshana Lodge(?), paddle sleep paddle, camp at Richtersberg (hiking party heading inland) fishing party has 2 full days of fishing. Paddle and camp to Fish river confluence.

Sounds like you guys had an awesome trip...special place that!
    Where's the pics?? Any big largemouth come out?

regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Noordoewer into the water at Norontshana Lodge(?), paddle sleep paddle, camp at Richtersberg (hiking party heading inland) fishing party has 2 full days of fishing. Paddle and camp to Fish river confluence.
    Ok, if you are going to paddle from Norotshama to Richtersberg, expect to do a lot of paddling, lots of schleping the rafts over very low sections, and very little fishing. It is a long , long way, in a river that is hardly flowing at all. From Richtersberg to Fish confluence, is even further. If you are expecting to do this in two days, you will be paddling your malla alie off. If the river has a little more water in it than we saw on our trip, you should be okay, but still a seriously long way to go.

Ok, I think you may be taking 2 days to get from Norotshama to Richtersberg. This is doable, as it is about 35km of river. 2 days should be fine, but you will still have to move it. Richtersberg has a very nice rapid right in front of the wilderness camp, where you should easily be able to fish effectively. There are deep sections both up and down stream of the rapids for largie hunting. A walk down stream will also bring you to some nice water. You must just hope that you will be camping on the Naam side, as there is no shade on the SA side at Richtersberg. Richtersberg to the Fish River confluence, is about 20 km of river, and some loooong pools that will really get you paddling arms working. Enjoy, let us know how it goes.

No ways 2 days to do that ;-) Put in on Sunday 28th 8km, Monday 18km phew!,Tuesday and Wednesday at Richtersberg - camping on the SA side :-( because the hiking party are collected there. Thursday and Friday to Fish. Take out Sat 4th.

Note the 7day FC and the Synoptic chart is not pretty. But there is a BIG H pressure that may push the front south of the country.

Any particualr SM flies?

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast