Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange report back

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Vir visvang is die beste om op een plek te kamp.
    Of baie stadig. Wanneer ons afgaan doen ons party dae net 2 - 3 km. En ons maak seker ons kamp by die rapids.

Kan dan die aand en oggend die goeie plekke vis.

Al probleem is as jy by die rapids kamp is dit maar baie loud is en slaap jy nie so lekker nie.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bulkcarrier View Post
    Of baie stadig. Wanneer ons afgaan doen ons party dae net 2 - 3 km. En ons maak seker ons kamp by die rapids.

Kan dan die aand en oggend die goeie plekke vis.

Al probleem is as jy by die rapids kamp is dit maar baie loud is en slaap jy nie so lekker nie.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Jy is reg, jy moet maar gereed maak om nie meer as 10km te wil doen as jy wil visvang nie.
    Party areas is die rapids so groot en wyd met soveel strome jy kan vir 3 dae op een plek vang en die nie dieselfde water vang nie.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Hi Gents

Doing a 5 day drift on the lower orange in a week, really hoping the river fishes well, I have been looking forward to this for a long time. What flies do you recommend? Same tactics as the Vaal? First time I will fish the orange river so I have no idea what to expect, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million.
    How was your trip?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Hi everyone,

So we got back last night, and boy was this amazing.

Day 1. We drove from Nigel to Augrabies where we spent our evening huddling under a small gazebo and umbrella trying to braai in the much needed rain. We ended up eating at the restaurant, well worth a visit.

Day 2. Left early morning and drove to Onseepkans border post, we wanted to avaoid all the Capetonians at the Noordoewer border post :biggrin:. Took the dirt road from Onseepkans to where it joins the B1 (tar) amazing dirt road, cruise control @ 120km/h and away you go. Arrived at Amanzi Tours @ Noordoewer, very nice spot on the banks of the river, there is a weir downstream of the lodge, I didnt fish it but it looks very promising.

Day 3. Started our trip down the river early morning, we were a group of 10 friends with no additional people in the group so it made it a bit easier to fish and do our own thing. Stopped at a nice rapid for lunch and I fished for about 20min, go two reasonable yellows on a size 16 flashback nymph. Our camp was on the SA side in the Richtersveld NP, amazing campsite on the river, there was a deep rapid about 100m downstream I fished the afternoon for about 2 hours, battled to fish this spot because of the depth of the water 1.5m - 2m at places. Managed 4 yellows for the afternoon.

Day 4. Paddled about 15km as we did every day, on this day we had a massive headwind needless to say it was hard work. Rapids we passed looked very promising but we did not have time to fish them as the guides promised me a good fishing spot where we are camping. Got to our campsite earlier than the other days and had a good session of about 3 hours to fish. Managed 9 yellows max weight of about 1.5kg. This particular spot had a nice pool in front of the campsite and I spend the late afternoon casting to some rising fish on the hatch with no success, an art I still have to master.

Day 5. Did another 15km paddle and stopped close to an old abandoned diamond mine with a series of rapids in front of the campsite. This was where the fun started and I could have easily spend 3 days on this spot alone. Within 10min of fishing we landed 6 fish, fished until sundown and between two of us we must have caught about 30 yellows on a Size 16 Orange Hotspot, this particular rapid had a lot of small fish 200g - 1kg with the biggest for the afternoon about 2kg. Again time was limited and the cold beers calling.

Day 6. Made our way to the extraction point (jip by now we felt like recces) last day consisted of flat water again with a number of good rapids we did not have time to fish. No fishing on day 6.

Overall it was an incredible experience, the Richtersveld must be one of the most captivating places I have ever visited and a trip I will definately do again. Amanzi Trails was very good, the guides cooked 3 times a day, made sure we had the best possible camping spots and went out of their way to make sure we had some time to fish.

As far as fishing goes I dont think you can compare this part of the Orange river to anywhere else, the scenery, water quality and the amount of fish around is just amazing, this is a trip I would recommend to every person that enjoys FF.

Next trip I am keen to try the K@kamas area, the river looks very good and from what I gathered from the locals the fishing is incredible.

I will post some photos soon.
    Last edited by Frank; 20-04-17 at 03:38 PM.
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.

Cool trip...
    Korrie Broos

i remember doing a trip down that stretch was very nice the guides were\ also fishermen so me,two or three of my friends and the guides spent quiet a bit of time on the river

I had to stop reading because I can't afford to go to work on Monday all green from head to toe!
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Any news from this part of the river?

Going this long weekend, will let you know, water is CRYSTAL clear at the moment.
    Photos from 2 weekends ago, water was cold about 14 degrees so the fishing was very tough. (50 fish between 4 experienced guys over 3 days)
    But heard stories about the clear water and watching a LM of over a meter in length, feeding in water that is 2 meters deep from one of the high rocky outcrops. Seeing schools of SM yellows, just "hanging in there" not feeding, with fly after fly drifting thru them. Sometimes doing a slight turn to have half a look at the fly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Going this long weekend, will let you know, water is CRYSTAL clear at the moment.
    Photos from 2 weekends ago, water was cold about 14 degrees so the fishing was very tough. (50 fish between 4 experienced guys over 3 days)
    But heard stories about the clear water and watching a LM of over a meter in length, feeding in water that is 2 meters deep from one of the high rocky outcrops. Seeing schools of SM yellows, just "hanging in there" not feeding, with fly after fly drifting thru them. Sometimes doing a slight turn to have half a look at the fly.
    50 fish between 4 fisherman over 3 days = hard fishing...
    I call that a great weekend! DAMN!

That water looks amazing!
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast