Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange report back

Just worked out I might not have to worry to much about it.

Starting to build in 2024. Let's say it takes 10 years to build and maybe 4-5 years to fill.
    that means we are talking around 2040.

Who knows where we will be in 23 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by bulkcarrier View Post

Who knows where we will be in 23 years time.
    This time of year? probably on that river somewhere or maybe on the Breede. Still deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    This time of year? probably on that river somewhere or maybe on the Breede. Still deciding.
    I prefer the Orange.
    Something MAGIC and very SPECIAL about the lower Orange
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Freshly back from the Lower Orange and here's some feedback:

1. The water at Potjiespram was as clear as I have seen it, but the level normal for October
    2. The water at De Hoop was clearer than I have ever seen it, and clearer than at Potjiespram. I suspect the Fish River may add a little sediment between the two spots.
    3. The fishing at Potjiespram was good, we caught many Smallmouths, and several small Largemouths. We had no joy with big Largemouths.
    4. We paddled up and down from Potjiespram and fished some fantastic spots that nobody ever seem to get to.
    5. Potjiespram camp was virtually empty. There was 1 other group but we never saw them. Good for solitude
    5. De Hoop had a full complement of campers and we counted at least 5 other flyfishermen. Bit too busy for me
    6. The smaller Smallmouths were all holding in kneedeep, slow, extremely clear water and were almost impossible to approach.
    7. I caught a few on a nymph below a strike indicator, but they were not particularly interested. Great sight fishing though, a bit like trout.
    8. The bigger Smallmouths held in deeper slow runs, say, waist deep. They could clearly be seen but were not at all interested in any fly. Nothing we tried changed their minds.
    9. Had one massive take from a Largemouth, on a Zonker fished cross and down at the top of a deep pool, but he broke me off. Damn!
    10. Richtersberg camp was completely empty and we had the place to ourselves.
    11. Saw many very large Smallmouths, but as in 8 above, nothing worked for them.
    12. We had a full moon in the middle of our 5 days there, perhaps that had an influence? Also, a cold front moved over front on day 1 and 2?
    13. The extremely clear water made fishing tricky and the fish very skittish, but it made for easy spotting of fish.
    14. Even the smaller Smallmouths seemed to be missing from their usual rapids and even there the strike rate was rather lower than usual.
    15. We saw an amazing congregation of big Mudfish spawning in the extreme shallows on the side of a rapid. Easily a 100 fish, all very dark, almost black-gray in spawning colours, splashing and totally oblivious of our presence. We left them alone.
    16. D caught a little tilapia on fly, a first for any of us, fluke or not. It's real pretty.
    17. Over the hot midday when only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the sun, I read Ed Herbst and Peter Briggs' new book on South African flytying and enjoyed it a lot! (Yes, that's a punt)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DJR; 09-10-17 at 12:31 AM.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Thanks for the report, Amazing the clean water this time of the year
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

I foresee a lot more visitors from up country to the lower Orange in coming years. especially with the quality of the Vaal river in the early Spring.
    If you think about the VDK dam is 5 hours drive from JHB.
    Prieska is 7 hours from JHB
    Upington is 8 hours and Pella a 10 hour drive.
    Groblershoop is 7,5 hours. A stunning camp site with bungalows with aircon etc. http://www.kheisriverside.co.za/

So many small places along the river that is not well know by the Gauteng fly fishers.
    For a 3 or 4 day superb fishing trip, this is very little driving.
    Leave on a Wednesday evening share the driving and you can fish Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and leave Sunday by 10 and you will be back Sunday evening in JHB.
    It is not the 3 hours to Sterkfontein, but something very special.

I organised the very first trip 18 years ago to the Richtersveld, and it is still as special as the very first time for me, the lower Orange.
    Last edited by Korrie; 08-10-17 at 10:44 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Nice tip Korrie. I suspect flying to Upington and fishing thereabouts will make sense to many, especially given the cost of petrol, tolls, wear and tear, etc.

Edit: just checked, at R5400 a return ticket I take back my comment. I used to fly the Upington often, and the prices were usually quite reasonable. Not anymore it seems.
    Last edited by Stephen Louw; 08-10-17 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    Nice tip Korrie. I suspect flying to Upington and fishing thereabouts will make sense to many, especially given the cost of petrol, tolls, wear and tear, etc.

Edit: just checked, at R5400 a return ticket I take back my comment. I used to fly the Upington often, and the prices were usually quite reasonable. Not anymore it seems.
    I suppose if the demand increase, the prices might come down. (wishful thinking)
    What makes sense if 4 people go together in a car, share the driving with 2 hours each, the trip becomes "much shorter"
    I had numerous request to arrange trips on the lower Orange.
    We will be doing a trip next year, with a "land based support team" in 2 vehicles that is 4x4 and a 4x4 outdoor caravan as the mobile base camp.
    10 people, on crocs, going down stream, fishing etc with the 2 vehicles responsible for the logistics of cooking etc.
    Korrie Broos

The water has been this clean for the last 2 winters. The winter before that the vis was about a meter.
    it will be a but of a bummer if you drive all the way from JHB to the lower Orange, expecting New Zealand style clean water and viz is only 1 meter.
    Korrie Broos

I once drove all the way to Lilydale and got flash floods and orange water with zero visibility. That was a bummer.

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445464748 LastLast