Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange report back

Korrie, I will probably be up there then for the annual leave too. The missus dont like boats (of any kind) but have bakkie and could help out with transport. Just depends when you guys are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Andre and I have been having long chats about a specific drift/float session on the Lower Orange River.
    We have now narrowed the time down to round about Easter next year (2009).

This will be an exploratory trip to see the viability for future trips.
    We will be having land bases support vehicles, with all the food, tents, stoves, jacuzzi and showers(you all know Andre and camping)
    On the crocs will only be lunch and drinks, plus all the fishing gear neaded for the day.
    We all ready have a couple of volunteers who wants to share this trip.
    We are looking at taking up to 10 fly fishers. We have a couple of volunteers, but there is space for a a few more. If there is any forumer who wants to join us on this first ever fly fishing specific trip, with full on shore based support team. Post your name.
    This is a non profit trip, just a couple of nice guys or women who want to share a trip and share the costs.

List your name and we will see how many can join us. (it is still a little in the future, and some guys might drop out, it will be good to have a name or 3 spare.)
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

this sounds great, please put me somewhere on the backup list
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

Not to put a damper on things, but the flow will determine the success of the trip. If the dams are full and releasing lots of water and the river is up the fishing will not be very good. I know from experience that its really hard to postpone or cancel a trip due to bad weather conditions. I would plan to be there around sept to nov, thats when the flows low and vis is good...

My 2c
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Not to put a damper on things, but the flow will determine the success of the trip. If the dams are full and releasing lots of water and the river is up the fishing will not be very good. I know from experience that its really hard to postpone or cancel a trip due to bad weather conditions. I would plan to be there around sept to nov, thats when the flows low and vis is good...

My 2c
    yes we know this Liam, however it is impossible to determine the flows when planning something so far in avance. This is why it is an exploratory trip, and the guys that want to come will have to be aware of the risks of going at that time of year. Easter time is a little risky with unpredictable flows, but be that as it may, i have been there over Easter time before, and had good fishing. It has to be in the holiday time anyway, as my two boys will be comming, and others may want to bring the kids as well. We will have to watch the flows, and see what happens. If it looks like it is going to be too high, we will make a call close to the time.
    Even if the fishing is slow, it sould be a good outing anyway.
    The purpose of this trip, is to determine the practicality of such a drift trip, where the emphasis is on fishing, with vehicular support from the roads. The vehicles will be in radio contact with the boats, and will be able to go on ahead and communicate the good spots with the boats....I dunno, could just work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    yes we know this Liam, however it is impossible to determine the flows when planning something so far in avance. This is why it is an exploratory trip, and the guys that want to come will have to be aware of the risks of going at that time of year. Easter time is a little risky with unpredictable flows, but be that as it may, i have been there over Easter time before, and had good fishing. It has to be in the holiday time anyway, as my two boys will be comming, and others may want to bring the kids as well. We will have to watch the flows, and see what happens. If it looks like it is going to be too high, we will make a call close to the time.
    Even if the fishing is slow, it sould be a good outing anyway.
    The purpose of this trip, is to determine the practicality of such a drift trip, where the emphasis is on fishing, with vehicular support from the roads. The vehicles will be in radio contact with the boats, and will be able to go on ahead and communicate the good spots with the boats....I dunno, could just work.
    Sorry, maybe didn't make my point clear enough. I've just had it one time too many where the flow is too high and the fishing very slow.....

Basically your probability of having good fishing in better in spring than autumn. This is because the catchment area is a summer rainfall area and any runoff at the end of summer generally passes through to the lower orange (assuming a good year of summer rainfall and all the dams upstream are full).

As far as vehicular access is concerned, this is not an issue, but expect to pay the landowners for access. All the commercial canoing operators do in the section between noordoewer and fish river junction.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Sorry, maybe didn't make my point clear enough. I've just had it one time too many where the flow is too high and the fishing very slow.....

Basically your probability of having good fishing in better in spring than autumn. This is because the catchment area is a summer rainfall area and any runoff at the end of summer generally passes through to the lower orange (assuming a good year of summer rainfall and all the dams upstream are full).

As far as vehicular access is concerned, this is not an issue, but expect to pay the landowners for access. All the commercial canoing operators do in the section between noordoewer and fish river junction.
    Thanks Liam. Yes I am aware of the flow risks at that time of year. The main contributing factor, would be the release from the Van Der Kloof dam, and this would depend on the amount of rainfall in that catchment area, throughout the summer. But yes, i hear what you are saying.
    Regarding landowners permissions, we plan for the drift to begin, inside the Ais-Ais Transfrontier park, on the Namibian side, a short distance upstream from the Fish River confluence, and drift towards Pooitjiespram. There is a section of about 15 to 20 km's where the road runs alongside the river.

My point of view on this drift is that each and every one will know before hand that there is no gaurantees on the fishing, water levels etc.
    This is not a commercial venture, absolutely a sharing of the costs.
    IF the water levels are very high, it will be conveyed before hand with the risks involved with it, i.e. not soo good fishing.
    Each one who volunteers for the trip goes on that basis.
    It might end up, with fantastic fishing, fantastic weather, super bunch of guys and a trip of epic memories.
    We could debate the merits of the best time of the year for the next 5 months. Then end up not going at all.
    Some of my best memories have been when we ended up "just doing it, no matter what"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

If you'll have me along, can you pencil my name in too please?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Andre and I have been having long chats about a specific drift/float session on the Lower Orange River.
    We have now narrowed the time down to round about Easter next year (2009).

This will be an exploratory trip to see the viability for future trips.
    We will be having land bases support vehicles, with all the food, tents, stoves, jacuzzi and showers(you all know Andre and camping)
    On the crocs will only be lunch and drinks, plus all the fishing gear neaded for the day.
    We all ready have a couple of volunteers who wants to share this trip.
    We are looking at taking up to 10 fly fishers. We have a couple of volunteers, but there is space for a a few more. If there is any forumer who wants to join us on this first ever fly fishing specific trip, with full on shore based support team. Post your name.
    This is a non profit trip, just a couple of nice guys or women who want to share a trip and share the costs.

List your name and we will see how many can join us. (it is still a little in the future, and some guys might drop out, it will be good to have a name or 3 spare.)

I'd definatley like to go - with my wife (by that time next year)- depending on the dates and if I have to take leave, but it sounds awesome.

Booger Rose Banned User

If water levels are to high then we just do a white water rafting trippie of epic proportions!

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast