Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Build a boat for R600

How did it perform on the water?
    Never mind the fishing, first, we want to know if it is good on the water, then we can worry about fishing from the it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Graig

Give us an update on how "Bob" performed.
    I think that I am not the only forumer who is wondering if it went well, or not so well.
    Hi Korrie & All

Bob outdid himself and put in a good show. We even managed quite a few fish in difficult conditions (for Lakenvlei anyway)

Have a few tweaks I want to do, like wrap leather around the oars where they fit the rowlocks because they make a noise.
    Pro's
    - Quicker than float tubes and I suspect Ark
    - Easy to handle
    - Lots of space for goodies, anchor, drogues etc.
    - Much warmer, no cold legs
    - Drier

Cons
    - Doesnt track as straight as I would like but its OK
    - Takes up more space than other craft but was easy to put on roofrack & carry to water. (quite aerodynamic on roof)
    - Small adjustments need the oars (easier with float tubes)

All in all, I prefer this to my V-Boat

Pics
    The Helm (footwear optional)

Bob in action
    Regards
    Craig

looks really good!!! ..... congrats Craig!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Glad to hear it went well.
    How stable is the craft?
    I think I might find it a bit confined sitting with my legs stretched in front of me the whole time. Will you stand upright in "BOB"?

What is the water clarity at Lakensvlei at the moment?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Glad to hear it went well.
    How stable is the craft?
    I think I might find it a bit confined sitting with my legs stretched in front of me the whole time. Will you stand upright in "BOB"?

What is the water clarity at Lakensvlei at the moment?

Its pretty stable.
    Legs in front of you is a bit awkward after a while, but you can sit cross-legged when not rowing. dont sit right at the bottom. its raised a bit at seat.
    No ways will I stand upright! maybe someone younger with better balance.
    Was going to put a plank over top for seat, but thats a little to wobbly for my taste.
    Wider may work better, but then u will have to use 2 sheets of ply and wont row as easily. Could always put in a centreboard box, but that goes against trying to keep it simple.
    Next boat I will use plywood with foam glued on and eliminate 80% of framework

Water is pretty green. Stockies are in the deep water near surface feeding on Daphnia. Big fish were eating it too, but not stuffed full of it like stockies. Bigs seem to be on the weather (downwind) shores.
    Fishfinder found very few fish at depth (like at rockpile where they usually are). Most likely as the water is freaking cold.
    Regards
    Craig

What are you using for ballast Craig?

Looks great on a flat lake, but I cant help thinking what it would be like in windy conditions when the swell starts to pick up and water starts to lap up over the sides
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post

Looks great on a flat lake, but I cant help thinking what it would be like in windy conditions when the swell starts to pick up and water starts to lap up over the sides
    could be FUN!!!! .. methinks you need Capt OMR on board in those conditions!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Why not look at mounting a battery powered trolling motor on your "bob"? only thing is this will cost more than you have spent on the boat, but probably so is your fishfinder and rods, reels, line, flies,

I have fished from a similar boat, however it was aluminium,
    if you forget the oars, an umbrella tied to the end of your anchor rope works well, Open umbrella, throw as far as you can, then retrieve the line. this method will get you where you want to go, but not very elegantly, you will have to wait a few mins for the fish/water to settle again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post

Yah Boet, it was designed for Lakenvlei not the Atlantic.
    If the wind is wipping up big waves I wouldnt go out on anything because you will be fighting the wind more than the waves.
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by DorB View Post
    Why not look at mounting a battery powered trolling motor on your "bob"? only thing is this will cost more than you have spent on the boat, but probably so is your fishfinder and rods, reels, line, flies,

I have fished from a similar boat, however it was aluminium,
    if you forget the oars, an umbrella tied to the end of your anchor rope works well, Open umbrella, throw as far as you can, then retrieve the line. this method will get you where you want to go, but not very elegantly, you will have to wait a few mins for the fish/water to settle again.
    What about a nice shady roof made of solar panels + a motor?
    Then I could troll all day!
    The alternative is one of them fancy kites, but it may be too quick for trolling
    btw, you throw the umbrella when its closed, it goes further and when you pull it opens. You can also tie short tippets onto umbrella pointy things with a fly on each (just in case)
    Regards
    Craig

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast