Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deer Head Streamer

Thumbs up Deer Head Streamer

Hook:C51 size 1/0
    1st Thread:14/0 black
    2nd Thread: 230 denier or 3/0 black.I used brown here.
    Guard: 4.5kg Mono
    Attractor tail: Red Marabou
    Tail: Black Marabou
    Flash: Optional,not included here.
    Wing: Black Marabou
    Skirt: Hackle - Dark brown,black,Grizzly or whatever u fancy
    Head: Black Deer hair
    Eyes: 6mm Red Sequence
    Pupil: Black Marker coated with UV

The most important tool for this job is a very very sharp razer or surgical blade.If u don't have one,don't bother attempting this fly.A blade can be bought for about 90c from your local pharmacy.

The original pattern is by Jacques Marais.I made many many changes to his version.Feel free to ask about it.

Step 1
    Tie in the mono guard.Once that is done,tie in your red marabou so that they are slightly longer than the mono guard.

Step 2
    Tie in your black Marabou ontop of the red Marabou.

Move your thread 2-3 turns forward after each bunch of tied in Marabou.You're stacking the marabou going forward.

What u need to look out for is to make sure you're covering the the bottom end of the shank as well.I'm refering to the black Marabou.Use your fingers and press ontop of the tied in black Marabou.This will help in moving the Marabou downwards and covering the shank.This is not really necessary if u look at the wet fly,your hackled skirt will cover it anyway.I'm just saying ok.

I didn't attach a pic of the marabou stacking but hopefully u get the idea.Ur tail should be about as long as the hook.

Step 3
    Tie in your Hackle and palmer it forward to just after mid shank.Use a hackle which is nice and long.Secure and tie off ur 14/0 thread.Mount your 230 denier or 3/0 thread.

The back end of the fly at this stage.

Step 4
    Select a thick bunch of Black Deer Hair,remove all the fluff,allign the tips and make 2 wraps of thread around the bunch.In the middle of the bunch.Let the tips of the Deer Hair overlap the hackle tied off point.

I used the stacking technique instead of spinning.Staking allows you nearly identical results i.t.o density,texture and general appearance plus u can add a hot spot on the flies's head.For this fly I didn't add a hot spot.Normally I would use yellow or white deer hair.

Step 5
    First stroke the deer hair back,to ur left and then move your thread through the deer hair.Don't trap any deer hair.Wiggle the thread through the deer hair.It goes through easily.Once you're through,make 2 thread wraps infront of the deer hair.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 09-08-08 at 08:07 AM.

Step 6
    Use your hair stacker and compress the deer hair back to the tail area as hard as u can.U must have a compressed body.

Step 7
    Repeat step 6 untill u reach the eye of the hook.Whip finish and tie off.Add head cement.

It should look like this.See below.

Step 8
    Now comes your more difficult steps.Trim the hair using a blade.For me it's quite difficult to explain how the shape should look.A tip I can give that works for me is to always and always start to trim at the eye of the hook working backwards.

Follow the shape of the head and use ur imgination i.t.o how the head should look.Leave a few of the deer hair strands that u stacked first.This will form your 2nd skirt if I can call it that.It should have a fluent look i.t.o blending in with your previously tied in hackle.Also remember to carve enough of the hairs below the shank not to obscure the gape.

Here's a few pics of what I'm trying to explain.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 08-08-08 at 02:25 PM.

Step 9
    Right,your shape is now formed.Cut 2 holes on either side of the head big enough for the sequence eyes to fit.Use the sharp point of the blade.

Step 10
    Add some epoxy to the holes and insert the eyes.Wait till dry,color in your pupils using a black marker and apply some UV knot.

Front view of finished fly.

Side view when fly is turned over.

Side view as the fly would ride in the water.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 08-08-08 at 02:26 PM.

This is actually not Jacques Marais's pattern, but a variation of a Garth Wellman pattern. (See the latest Complete fly fisherman)

Nice fly though, good step by step Gerrit.
    Last edited by FastAction; 08-08-08 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastAction View Post
    This is actually not Jacques Marais's pattern, but a variation of a Garth Wellman pattern. (See the latest Complete fly fisherman)

Nice fly though, good step by step Gerrit.

Nope,I've been fishing this pattern since last year July,originally tied by JM.See Flyfishing magazine June/July 2007 Vol 20 No.101

Pleasure!!!!

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 08-08-08 at 02:31 PM.

Have to agree though, Garth tied a pattern like this a few years ago. His latest one in the mag is just a tweak and improvement on his original pattern. Originally Garth tied it to imitate small barbel fry, and for dirty water.
    You should substitute the red eyes with silver or yellow eyes as well, more realistic. I tie a similar fly, don't have a pic handy though.
    Lekker fly though...good pattern and SBS. You are becoming the SBS king huh???

Another deer hair beaut, Gerrit. Deer hair streamers have been tied by many for yonk years now, so who cares really.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Gerrit,

This pattern reminds me of a pattern in one of the mags, tied on a saltwater hook some time back to be used to target skipjack at sunset and till after dark.

Will look up to see who tied it, if it means anything.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Gerrit,

This pattern reminds me of a pattern in one of the mags, tied on a saltwater hook some time back to be used to target skipjack at sunset and till after dark.

Will look up to see who tied it, if it means anything.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

That would be great,maybe a can poach some features from it and use it here.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Lekker fly though...good pattern and SBS. You are becoming the SBS king huh???
    Ta Mike,

Enjoying it currently.SBS is a great way to improve i.t.o finesse because of macro snaps.All mistakes can be viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Another deer hair beaut, Gerrit.
    Thanks Dave,lob this thing into the Vaal and see what happens.

G

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast