Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: smallmouth bass

I think the Clanwilliam station was closed due to a shortage of money.

Currently a lot of farmers that, previously had Bass in their farm dams have replaced them with Clanwilliam Yellows. I know that some dams have populations, that breed, with up to 10 pound plus fish in the dams.

One of the problems, is that the Clan yellows, takes up to 7 years to reach sexually matured stage.

The farmers that do have these Clan Yellows are very coy about it, and dont want to advocate to the whole world about them.

The reason why the Clan Yellow, was removed from the criticall endangered to endangered or from endagered to vulnerable is the stocking in dams.
    Quitely the numbers have increased in the last couple of years.

As for the 15cm bass proof, I think that is still to small, as a large bass will easily chomp such a small yellow, but at least they will have a better chance on survival

These breeding dams might be a small nursery for the fingerlings. When the dams are overflowing, the larger small fish might find their way to the larger rivers, having a bigger chance of survival.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie

Where did these farmers get their Clanwilliams from? Are they being bred somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I think the Clanwilliam station was closed due to a shortage of money.

Currently a lot of farmers that, previously had Bass in their farm dams have replaced them with Clanwilliam Yellows. I know that some dams have populations, that breed, with up to 10 pound plus fish in the dams.

One of the problems, is that the Clan yellows, takes up to 7 years to reach sexually matured stage.

The farmers that do have these Clan Yellows are very coy about it, and dont want to advocate to the whole world about them.

The reason why the Clan Yellow, was removed from the criticall endangered to endangered or from endagered to vulnerable is the stocking in dams.
    Quitely the numbers have increased in the last couple of years.

As for the 15cm bass proof, I think that is still to small, as a large bass will easily chomp such a small yellow, but at least they will have a better chance on survival

These breeding dams might be a small nursery for the fingerlings. When the dams are overflowing, the larger small fish might find their way to the larger rivers, having a bigger chance of survival.
    A certain member of CNC promoted and implemented the irradication of carp, bass and trout in farm dams in the greater Winterhoek conservancy. Promises were made to replace these "alien species" with yellows, but this never materialised...
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

My girlfriend's brother has a farm on the Upper 24. They have a number of dams which would be ideal for Clanwilliams. How do I pursue this?

(They also have a trout hatchery on the farm with both rainbows and browns, but these fish are undesirable aliens and are bred to be eaten - or so I'm told)

Neil
    They first look if Clanwilliam's occured in the drainage system. Maybe it is a witvis basin. Then you can put the right species in there.

I have a funny feeling that area might be witvis area.I know that some dams at Porterville have Witvis.

I can check for you and probaly arrange some fish.
    The Witvis, is more difficult/challenging fish to catch, but very strong.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9