Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

sweet John, then we go tomorrow as well

you going today as well ?
    how far did you wade in to the reefs ?
    you did not try the shivan ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    sweet John, then we go tomorrow as well
    Damn Kevin, you really know how to make people jealous Isn't it time you started your year of pennyless penance
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    you going today as well ?
    how far did you wade in to the reefs ?
    you did not try the shivan ?
    Yeah John, think I might- the thought of that leerie that chased Grant's fly is haunting me. We waded out onto the furthest reef on the right of the slipway. We had to wade back at about waist to chest deep through the gullies. We then stood on one of the middle reefs, casting into the deep hole to the right of the slipway and had to swim back to shore from there.

I did try the shivan but no luck- I also tried poppers, crease flies, flippers, woolhead mullet, magic mullet and salty buggers but got all my takes on clousers.

Herman- yeah, life's great at the moment! The only problem is that I am getting used to this life very quickly! I should work on my thesis today, which means I'll be g@tvol soon and then I'll have to fish I start on 15 January if all goes to plan.

its funny the only flies that ever worked at blakes for me was salty buggers and clousers

Might see you guys upon them great big waters today. Tides look good, what were the temp. like yesterday?

Cheers,

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Might see you guys upon them great big waters today. Tides look good, what were the temp. like yesterday?

Cheers,

Philip
    Hi Philip

We didn't measure the temp yesterday but the water was very warm to begin with (i.e. the kind of temps that I'm used to in the East Cape). Cold water pushed in with the tide though, although it was still not very cold at all. We found that we had most of the action on the colour/ temp line yesterday. It should be ok today, judging by last night. I just hope the SE cleans the water up a bit- the water that came in yesterday evening was very dirty (I could not see my feet in waist deep water).

kevin, when you get these takes but no hook-ups, try the following it work for me in the past.... use a salty bugger and nip the marabou tail shorter

I'm sure the sharks could see your feet I hope to see you guys there.

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    kevin, when you get these takes but no hook-ups, try the following it work for me in the past.... use a salty bugger and nip the marabou tail shorter
    Thanks John, will do. Ja, I was getting a bit pissed- they would take solidly and boil under the surface, but no hook-up. I hooked the last one but the hook pulled after about 2 seconds- who knows. A shoal of leeries (4 or 5) came flying past me when I was standing waist deep on one of the reefs- and they were also a very decent size- looks like Blakes is healthy at the moment.

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast