Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

Default December Holidays

Hi.

I will be down over the december break and would like to try some of the salt water fly spots in the gordons bay area. where are the good spots. any tips. thanks, steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Hi.

I will be down over the december break and would like to try some of the salt water fly spots in the gordons bay area. where are the good spots. any tips. thanks, steve

Hi Steve

welcome to the forum...Rols will help you more.......But for now Blakes @ strand is good
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

so where exactly is that. if you stand on the pavilion and look out to sea, would that be the stretch to your left. what about the shore line stretching from the new harbor toward the Strand, say around where the old squash courts and yacht club used to be or in front of that rugby field, lots of rocks i know but if you could get right out there, what's out there . . . . any good river mouths near by.

Although a prcticaly grew up in GB

i'm really looking forward to exploring some of that coast line with a fly rod.

Hi Guys

I fished Blakes today. Soooo many fish around, but you must be prepared to move around , scout the reefs from low tide, the leervis move around like street gangs up down the gullies. Good size too and hungry. But i only managed one hookup of a good 45cm + fish. Loads of chases, They are really strong. At one stage i was surrounded by at least 6 sharks. They feed on the leervis and elf, i witnessed a HUGE elf clearing the water as it smashed into bait fish. It must have been over 2kg. Tomorrow i'm taking my 10WT with to cast my lot with these sharks. Maximum pressure !!!!

Enjoy your fishing !!!!

Steve you can either fish the reef to the left or right of the pavilion. Start at low tide and get to know all the gullies and how the water push as the tide comes in.
    Last edited by Pierre; 27-12-07 at 09:49 PM.

Pierre, may your New Year's "gift" be a landed shark on fly.
    Al the best for"08.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Guys

I fished Blakes today. Soooo many fish around, but you must be prepared to move around , scout the reefs from low tide, the leervis move around like street gangs up down the gullies. Good size too and hungry. But i only managed one hookup of a good 45cm + fish. Loads of chases, They are really strong. At one stage i was surrounded by at least 6 sharks. They feed on the leervis and elf, i witnessed a HUGE elf clearing the water as it smashed into bait fish. It must have been over 2kg. Tomorrow i'm taking my 10WT with to cast my lot with these sharks. Maximum pressure !!!!

Enjoy your fishing !!!!

Steve you can either fish the reef to the left or right of the pavilion. Start at low tide and get to know all the gullies and how the water push as the tide comes in.
    Hi Pierre, moved to Somerset West in Jan from JHB orig grew up Cape Town (Constantia) spent the past 15 years aging in JHB and decided to come home. Would love to get into the salt water scene as have been doing plenty flyfishing but no salt. Have fantastic salt rig not seen the water as yet though. Please let me know if i can tag along next you go, Avaid fly fisherman Sean 0833267487

Hi Sean

Welcome back. Sure i'll let you know. I fished Blakes yesterday morning and again the afternoon. Not a fish to be seen. Philip and I scouted the reefs from Blakes all the way back towards Strand beach hotel. I think its due to all the activity in the water, lots of boats and jet ski's. Also there was a bit of a front. I would wait for things to quiet down a bit.

Cheers

Thanks Pierre, that's fantastic!cant wait!
    If i still feel like drinking after tonight we should meet for a beer whilst we wait for conditions to improve. Dont want to be fumbling on the first day out discuss Reef / fish / gear etc. I'm free whenever, your call.

Sent you a PM with contact details...

Hi there guys. Whats the story with Maasbanker at Strand. I have been told on good authority that it's best at night. Has anyone actually tried for them during the day with any success?
    Thanks
    Jason

Hi guys me again.

For all the hardcore guys that fish Blakes..... Are there any weedbeds between the shore and the rocks. I am looking for a place to target some mullet. Let me know please.

Thanks

Jason

Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast