Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

I believe the answer is small 1/0, #1 and #2 circles
    gamagatsu make a nice streamer circle
    I have also gone away from clousers and flys that ride hook up when the juvies are around as their eyes are so close to their mouths

good to hear the fish are around

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

makes sense that denton...reckon its an avenue worth exploring.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Another thing worth keeping in mind is not to throw small flies when the little fish are around. Yes, the odd one still takes a swipe at a big fly and may get snagged, but for the most part they just chase it all the way in. I really think that the smaller fish chasing a big fly play a part in triggering the bigger fish to have a go. There's no gratification in racking up large numbers of small leeries - especially seeing as how many may be badly hooked. For the record: I used a 14cm (measured) synthetic baitfish fly on Tuesday and only one of the fish was under 30cm. (And it was foul-hooked in the back...)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    Another thing worth keeping in mind is not to throw small flies when the little fish are around. Yes, the odd one still takes a swipe at a big fly and may get snagged, but for the most part they just chase it all the way in. I really think that the smaller fish chasing a big fly play a part in triggering the bigger fish to have a go. There's no gratification in racking up large numbers of small leeries - especially seeing as how many may be badly hooked. For the record: I used a 14cm (measured) synthetic baitfish fly on Tuesday and only one of the fish was under 30cm. (And it was foul-hooked in the back...)
    Interresting debate going here. Some of the more experienced leerie addicts I've spoken to swears by nothing bigger than size 2 debarbed hooks as not to damamge small leeries. (I've personally caught leeries under 30 cm on big clousers)

But what Mark says makes sense. Mark, what hooks do you use on those flies? I prefer Gamagatsu SC15 because of it's thin wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    But what Mark says makes sense. Mark, what hooks do you use on those flies? I prefer Gamagatsu SC15 because of it's thin wire.
    Mostly the SL12S and SC15. Conrad, I've also experienced small-fish attacks on big Clousers. I think it has to do with the slim profile of the fly - it still looks like something they can fit their jaws around. Despite our best efforts, there will always be some damage to small leeries.

Are you guys debarbing your hooks? I've been debarbing my leerie flies for a long time now. Also concerned about damage to juveniles.

Hi guys

I have never fished at Blakes before and would love to catch a leerie on fly. Where does one fish at Blakes and which flies work well? I am quite new to saltwater FF. If anyone is willing to let me tag along on a future trip/session it will also be much appreciated. I feel that nothing beats hand-on experience.

Regards,
    Rohann

Go down this weekend Rohann. Based on what has been said above, there wont be a shortage of flyfishers there!

Just watch and see where they fish and how.
    Last edited by Garage; 23-10-09 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks, will definitely be there if I can make it. What is a good time and tide to fish at Blakes?

PLEASE DEBARB ALL HOOKS!! These babies have more balls than sense and really get hurt. Lets make sure there is many big leeries for us in years to come. TLC guys.

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast