Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

Quote Originally Posted by draadkar View Post
    PLEASE DEBARB ALL HOOKS!! These babies have more balls than sense and really get hurt. Lets make sure there is many big leeries for us in years to come. TLC guys.
    Barb or no barb a hook through the eye does some dmage, that gamagatsu streamer circle sounds interesting ... will have to get some of those for my next estury trip!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

it really is a problem - only thing i can think of is using very small hooks ........somehow????

Quote Originally Posted by dar View Post
    it really is a problem - only thing i can think of is using very small hooks ........somehow????

Use debarbed freshwater stinger hooks (thin wire) if you are afraid of hurting small leeries. You can also release them by grabbing the fly (easy if its a flipper) and turning it so that the fish falls off the hook, without touching the fish. Hook is very unlikely to go through the eye. Damage to the eye are usually caused by hookpoint up style flies like clousers in sizes bigger than #2.

My ZAR 0.02.

I have found with flippers that the stick in the corner of the mouth most of the time because the leerie will turnwhen he eats it, but I have seen many leeries that looses eyes and die in the end. With a small fly they are so eager to eat it that they also swallow it to deep and get hooked in the gills.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

i think we need to start fishing circles or trying something different.these juvenile fish dont deserve to be pricked in vital places.......
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    Use debarbed freshwater stinger hooks
    Sorry, meant streamer / small gape hooks, not stingers (gape too big).
    Last edited by Conrad Botes; 25-10-09 at 07:11 PM.

Default Prawn Flats Hermanus

For those of you who fish hermanus prawn flats
    we have made a trip on Saturday morning .
    On arrival we could not believe how high the water was .
    There is no parking the whole parking area was filled up .
    So crossing over to the weed channels was out .There was a few rock and surf dudes that did well on bait Lots of mullet ,elf and some nasty fish with nasty spikes on the back .Sorry dont know the name of that one . Sean caught one small leerie. We later drove back into hermanus and went to the beach area .It was possible to get to the deeper chanels .
    Our first casts was in and fish on .
    It continued for a couple of hours .Lots of elf but no leeries
    The weather was cloudy and windy the kite surfers made well use of the wind .
    At about 13 :30 the wind died down and should have made for good fishing. But we had to leave .

Blakes is dead !!! On both trips the past two weeks it produced nada...

Fished at the slip last night with Johan Knoetze. From 19:00 till dark (20:15) we landed in the region of 10 Leervis, with numerous other hookups. At one stage I landed three fish in as many casts. Most fish were caught on a Mullet Brown over white SF/Deadly Dazzle weighted minnow, a few on an Olive Clouser and 1 on a Pencil Popper. Fish were also bit better size +- 50cm

Was great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Johan.knoetze View Post
    For those of you who fish hermanus prawn flats
    we have made a trip on Saturday morning .
    On arrival we could not believe how high the water was .
    There is no parking the whole parking area was filled up .
    So crossing over to the weed channels was out .There was a few rock and surf dudes that did well on bait Lots of mullet ,elf and some nasty fish with nasty spikes on the back .Sorry dont know the name of that one . Sean caught one small leerie. We later drove back into hermanus and went to the beach area .It was possible to get to the deeper chanels .
    Our first casts was in and fish on .
    It continued for a couple of hours .Lots of elf but no leeries
    The weather was cloudy and windy the kite surfers made well use of the wind .
    At about 13 :30 the wind died down and should have made for good fishing. But we had to leave .
    have you also noticed all the dead or nearly dead mullet.
    all in the 15 to 25cm size.

I was there, twice in December and a friend a week ago, and he also noticed all the dead mullet.

he had one follow from a leerie, but thats all.
    What was interesting that a lot of the mullet was half dead.
    He was of the opinion, that the leeries and elf, are so stuff with the mullet, that they are not really interested in feeding any more.
    Even the seagulls showed no interest in the dead or half dead mullet.

Have any one else had similar experiences?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast