Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

The Mullet in Hermanus died / are dying because of pollution. They are not sure what or where but there were reports that they will act against the guilty parties when they do figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    The Mullet in Hermanus died / are dying because of pollution. They are not sure what or where but there were reports that they will act against the guilty parties when they do figure it out.
    What is interesting, is that the elf and leeries, kabeljou, should be eating the dead, half dead, or paralyzed fish, would they not be affected?
    No dead elf, leeries, kabeljou have been spotted, are they immune to the pollution?
    If not, then toxins should have a very short lifespan, breaking down in the mullet?
    Why is it that only a certain window of size mullet are affected?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Same thing happened a couple years ago when the system was closed for a long period. The water became a smelly unhealthy sludge - smaller Mullet died and the banks were covered in rotting Mullet while the guys were getting stuck into very big Elf and Leries. I suppose the Mullet are simply more susceptible to the pollutants.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Same thing happened a couple years ago when the system was closed for a long period. The water became a smelly unhealthy sludge - smaller Mullet died and the banks were covered in rotting Mullet while the guys were getting stuck into very big Elf and Leries. I suppose the Mullet are simply more susceptible to the pollutants.
    Interestingly enough, as far as I saw only flathead mullet where dying. And as far as what CNC were able to ascertain was that the fish were dying due to low oxygen content in the water as a result of eutrophication (algae bloom causing the oxygen levels to be very low in the water).

In summary, the fish are dying due to lack of oxygen in the water and the only fish that I saw dying were flathead mullet. As soon as winter arrives the situation will improve with fresh water flowing into the estuary and very good chances of the lagoon opening up to the sea. Nature conservation authorities are very reluctant to open artificially to sea. Very good ecological argument as to leave estuary to itself and not artificially open it...
    Last edited by nkula_nkula; 25-01-10 at 05:21 PM.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Interestingly enough, as far as I saw only flathead mullet where dying. And as far as what CNC were able to ascertain was that the fish were dying due to low oxygen content in the water as a result of eutrophication (algae bloom causing the oxygen levels to be very low in the water).

In summary, the fish are dying due to lack of oxygen in the water and the only fish that I saw dying were flathead mullet. As soon as winter arrives the situation will improve with fresh water flowing into the estuary and very good chances of the lagoon opening up to the sea. Nature conservation authorities are very reluctant to open artificially to sea. Very good ecological argument as to leave estuary to itself and not artificially open it...
    Hi Liam

Saying the above, is none of the southern mullet dying?

We were back in the Strand last night, the fishing was quite a bit slower. There were in the region of six guys spinning, including the Bossinators' brother Andre. They picked up Leeries, mainly on surface lures.

I picked up two Leeries on a Wulff Sinking line and the same Mullet Brown over white baitfish.

Below is the Windfinder report for Sunday when we had great fishing and also yesterday. The water is in the region of 20 degrees Celcius and low tide was at 15:53. We fished from 19:00 till dark.

Hi fish

Nice going at blakes!

Regarding hermanus (kleinrivier lagoon), as far as I saw there were only flathead mullet that were dying. Highly possible the southerns were too. Although i have personally not seen alot of southern mullet, rather just flathead & striped mullet. There are some big striped mullet in the main body of the lagoon. I have not been able to target any of these succesfully (yet) as they are generally quite dispersed...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

When Hermanus became vrot a few years ago, Draadkar (aka Reinier) took an unwanted swim off my fishduc and shortly thereafter became very ill with a liver-related disease that was probably Hepatitis.

Its not for nothing that the signs at the beach and Prawn Flats say "No swimming".

Very, very sad.

Good news on Blakes Philip. Seems to be quite a hit-or-miss place these days.

Time to open this thread again Anyone taken a shot at Blakes yet ? Seem to be warming up nicely now....

come now mr admin....you hiding something from us.....we all friends here
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Agent Smith. OK OK klapped 14 leeries this weekend/not You will be one of the first to know. It is starting to look very fishy though and the temps seem to be up

Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast