Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

1. Default

Fished Blakes yesterday with Mark and Johan. With the temperatures reaching the high 30's in Somerset West yesterday and little wind everyone with a Speedo/swimming costume visited the beaches, there were thousands of non fly fishers . The water looked OK, maybe a bit too flat, had some colour and temp was in the region of 19/20, barometer was a bit too low with the approaching westerly winds.

We waded out on the reefs to the left of Blakes, but nothing. Then we moved over to Blakes, even less action. I believe we as fly fishers should stand together and invest in a remote controlled submarine with a 1.5m sharkfin on top. When these non fly fishers invade our territory we can send the sub swimming around Blakes.

There were many small craft out and apparently there is lots of small kob around at the moment. Will go again next week around the spring tides and let know.

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

2. Default

Won't be able to go out tomorrow, but the weather/barometer looks good. High tide is at 12:54pm, see here - http://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/..._detailed.html

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

What type of fly lines do you guys fish with at Strand?

-Roark

I also tried Blakes on Monday with no luck. The wind was still until about 19pm and the tide was pushing, the water might have bee too clear? The were a lot of duckbill stingrays around and masses of mullets/harders. The entire beach was lined with fisherman spinning and no one had any luck. The word on the street is that there are pleny of leeries around. Aparently on Sunday there were plenty caught. @Roark try an intermediate line with a 9 to 12 ft leader. Clousers should do the trick, Chartreuse over white with a fast as you can retrieve. Shout if you had any luck.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Got one Leerie Sunday morning on a flipper. Returned for the evening bite but it was chaos with the number of guys spinning down there (60+ minimum!). Had to queue on the reef and wait for a spot to open up!

I was impressed that most of the fish that came out were released, I only saw 2 being kept out of 10 odd nice size Leeries that I saw come out. Faith in humanity restored.

I was there yesterday. Two guys were catching Gully sharks. When I arrived, they told me that they had caught 9 already. They caught 5 more that I saw and killed and kept all of them. Apparently they get R300 per shark. I was - and remain - horrified.

Are there catch limits for this species?

Last I checked, don't believe this shark is specifically protected. So the daily bag limit of 10 fish would apply.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

I know a guy who's secret stash of Bronzie bait was collected at the Blakes rubbish bins. These guys who catch the Smoothhounds and Spotties would cut off the heads and dump them in the bins near the slipway, so he would just stop there on the way through to Macassar and pick up some fresh free bait. Bronzies loooove Smoothound heads, and i witnessed said bait one day catch a 165kg Bronzie after a 4 hour fight - biggest one i ever saw!

I guess one could call that making the most of a bad situation, and also that was many years ago, so this Spotty/Smoothie hunting that happens at Blakes is not a new thing.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Last I checked, don't believe this shark is specifically protected. So the daily bag limit of 10 fish would apply.
    not at all. MCM regulations specifically limit the daily catch of sharks to
    2 per person ( Great Whites excluded of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andrť

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Hi guys

Hope you had a good weekend. I recently moved down to the cpt area. I have 0 experience in the salt but I do have the basics. Is there anyway possible i can tag along one day to get some pointers?

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344 LastLast