Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

Pierre

That is a good question. The most effective immitation should be that of a four inch long Maasbanker or fresh Sardine fillet. I would reccommend synthetic materials because then your pattern should be more durable. Also remember to tie the thin end of the fillet-pattern on the flyline side of the hook as this should reduce twisting the line excessively.

Seriously though, I do not believe that the pattern is that critical. During the daytime I will fish white & chartreuse patterns, such as the Sempler style flies and during conditions of low light I would simply switch to black & purple Semplers. The flies also dont have to be overly big. Four inches should be perfect.

The best place to target Cob on fly is definitely Die Mond though. October to December is the right time and we generally have the most success just after low tide as the water starts pushing.

Cheers
    MC

The best wind for cob in the strand is a SE........when you see the fast food boxes flying out to sea and people battling to walk then its the right time to go. Probably the best place is shark rock 2 hours before high. When the waves are comming over your head and you keep getting knocked off the rock then its perfect. Strange thing about the reefs is that the cob don't seem to eat artificials......spoon, fly....nothing!!!!

Oh and for those who were talking about getting a thresher on fly have a look at this one taken at voeel klip at herolds bay recently. You reckon you could turn this thing with a fly rod............i'll buy you beer for a year!!
    Last edited by noweeds; 15-11-06 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks Noweeds

I will give it a go again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Coming Saturday looks promising. High tide at 09:26, so i'm gonna get out there early at 5:30 and fish the pushing tide. The wind is turning by Friday to a strong south easter which will continue to Sunday, sounds good. So anyone else care to join me. Of laaik julle om tot laat te le en poep ruik. !!
    Hi Pierre, seems we keep on missing each other on the water, you fishing on Saturday and me on Friday & Sunday evening...so i'll set the alarm for Saturday morning and join the fun

Hey great man. I will really enjoy casting a fly with you. I am running out of pencil poppers and they are not the easiest flies to get hold of and havent got my tying up to scratch yet. Think you want to put a few of those "giftige" poppers of yours up for sale. 10 Leeries, you gotta have the right stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Pierre

That is a good question. The most effective immitation should be that of a four inch long Maasbanker or fresh Sardine fillet. I would reccommend synthetic materials because then your pattern should be more durable. Also remember to tie the thin end of the fillet-pattern on the flyline side of the hook as this should reduce twisting the line excessively.

Seriously though, I do not believe that the pattern is that critical. During the daytime I will fish white & chartreuse patterns, such as the Sempler style flies and during conditions of low light I would simply switch to black & purple Semplers. The flies also dont have to be overly big. Four inches should be perfect.

The best place to target Cob on fly is definitely Die Mond though. October to December is the right time and we generally have the most success just after low tide as the water starts pushing.

Cheers
    MC
    Hi MC

This sounds great, thanks for the info. Would a floating line be good ? or how deep is it generally where you guys drop your bait ? or would an intermediate be better to get the fly down ?. I think it's worth a shot, although noweed's advice on when to target them sounds pretty daunting, waves over the head, south easter that blows you of your feet.

Eish to cast in !!!

Noweeds think the rock and surf manne will mind if i rock up and start waving a fly around them ?

Hi MC

Where at De Mond do you target the cob and which flies do you use. I had one chase at the rocky point to the left of the bridge, right at my feet while catching leeries. I have seen pictures of cob caught at De Mond on bait, their are real monsters lurking their.

Ja Pierre, i recon you may be asked nicely to move along

There's nbo reason why you cant try for cob off the high rocks to the left of blakes. They go wild there too!

Good morning guys

I generally fish an intermediate line for Cob, but I add a mini Di7 shooting head of about three metres to the front of the intermediate. This system works extremely well to keep the fly very close to the bottom in strong currents in about three metres of water.

My most productive pattern for Cob is definitely the Soft Hackle Streamer. You will find the tying sequence elsewhere on the website. This pattern is basically a combination of the Sempler, Marabou Deceiver and a Whistler. The idea was to create a fly that pushes a lot of water, has a good baitfish profile and moves well on a slow retrieve.

I caught my biggest Cob at Die Mond right off the island at dead low tide. The more productive areas are definitely higher up the river and the exact spot is not that critical. I do however like to fish an area where I can cast all the way across the channel as the fish mostly cruise up/down the edges. The idea is basically to cover both drop-offs on every cast.

Enjoy. Cob is a challenge on fly, but at least it is a realistic challenge when you put the effort into it.

Cheers
    MC

MC, thanks for your feedback. Did you ever managed to land one of those big bullnose mullet yet ?

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast