Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blakes Beach

Hi Guys

I notice that us salt guys (sout p**lle) are being left behind in the discussion stakes. Maybe that is because we are on the water.

I spent Saturday on the water at Blakes. The wind was a little harsh but manageable. I dont know whether it is just because it is a little early but it was very hard work. Each time I tried a new fly I would get a follow and a few bumps but then nothing. The leeries are definately there but are just not keen enough to bite.

My question is is there a specific leader construction, fly pattern that works at this time? I am doing the same things as at the end of last season when I was caning the fish. Some wise insights would be apreciated.

Hi mikeh

What worked for me begining of last season was to slow down my retrieve and not to change flies that often. I tried alot of "new" flies tied off-season, but the old family favorites(Flipper and Crease Flies) still came trough time after time,stick to the ones you believe in!Leader stayed the same through the season. Worked for me!

did you try any salty buggers, that use to wrok for me. how big are the fish ?

Bokoms and J Brink

Thanks for the replies, I will definately try those suggestions over the weekend.

A disturbing development is that I picked up the Helderberg news yesterday and they have an article in the polluted water. Apparently there is a problem with the line from Greenways through to Deep blue. The people swimming over the weekend at Melkbaai, (to the right of Blakes) all developed a nasty rash. I have had problems in the past with surfing after storms in polluted water so was not about to repeat the process. Went to the Quack this morning and given a clean bill of health.

The warning though is dont o in too deep and try at all costs not to ingest any of the water.

Hi mikeh

Just a quick word; tried a Flipper yesterday afternoon and it didn't work, tied on a self tied Pencil Popper and the fish responded, bagged 5 juvinile ones at Blakes with a Floating Line, ox Leader, 7 Kg tippet, Popper(on a Circle hook) and slow to medium double hand retrieve.

Bokoms
    Sounds promising. I popped out this morning for an hour at 5:00 but the tide was still too high to get out. Had some casting practice off the pipe. The fishing looks good for the weekend but I have to opt out. SWAMBO had a haircut on her odometer so I am nursing the patient at home. If you get anything let me know.

Gents,

I have seen a view guys out on their kyaks in and around strand...Yet no one with a fly rod on a ski...

Anybody attempted Blakes on a Ski? Any Recommendations?

hi guys...gave it a go this am for an hour.tides werent great but i had to be out that side for a qoute.wind was saaging and water is still dirty....no luck..

just a word of caution...i noticed 2 guys walking along the road when i packed up.they were atleast 200m infront of me and i was walking to the car.the one ducked into the little sand dune and the other stayed on the road till he got past my car and then turned around.these okes were deifnately up to no good.i took apart my 3 piece and was ready to get stuck in there with the shilton.. luckily i didnt need to use it and i saved myself any worries about what would have nappened to my reel
    make sure you guys keep an eye open if you fishing alone....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I picked up one Leerie this past Sunday. We fished from 10:00 till about 14:00, low tide was at 10ish and the fish was caught at 13:00, just right from the slipway. The water looked good, 20 degrees with a greenish tinge. The fish took an Olive Clouser.

Cheers,

Philip

I tried for leeries at blakes this morning with geoff and aj. we saw 3 chases but didnt get anything unfortunately. i went to the slipway at 5-30 and the moved to the left of the pavilion. oh well, better luck next time. how far does one have to cast generally??

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast