Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

Hey guys, with the water starting to warm a bit when will you start getting out there???? Winter has got me crazy and there is no more space left in my flybox after the rainy fly tying days. :smile:

Hi

You can basically get out there as soon as we get a good SE pumping for a few days..... It's not long now.....

Cheers
    MC

Hey MC

Thanx, jip waiting for the SE. Hope to see you guys there.

Wanneer die varkore begin blom! :wink:

Hey guys, spent some time on the reef yesterday and noticed a lot of spotties, even had a chase or two. This got me excited and decided to chase them and see if i could get one.

Only after the session it hit me, Is my 10wt ok for these sharks.

My question, do you guys think my 10 wt is ok for these smaller gullies?

Hi,
    #10 w should be fine. I have landed some on my 10 ft Sage #7 weight. The difficult bit was getting them those last few meters over the lip onto the sand. I think you should ask the question: "Is my reel good enough"? I fish Abel reels and it is normally fine, but once I had to replace the bearings after a big one smoked me!:biggrin:
    Spotted gulley shark 144 cm caudal lenght Dec 2010 low res.jpgSunset fight low res.jpg
    Regards
    Niel

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Malan View Post
    Hi,
    #10 w should be fine. I have landed some on my 10 ft Sage #7 weight. The difficult bit was getting them those last few meters over the lip onto the sand. I think you should ask the question: "Is my reel good enough"? I fish Abel reels and it is normally fine, but once I had to replace the bearings after a big one smoked me!:biggrin:
    Spotted gulley shark 144 cm caudal lenght Dec 2010 low res.jpgSunset fight low res.jpg
    Regards
    Niel
    Hey there Niel , thanks for the reply . Went this evening with my own baitfish pattern and managed to hook one. WOW what a fight .The only thing is the backing got knotted up and would not let go. Not to long and "Bye Bye fly line", my brand new cold salt. but that is fishing. Time to beg borrow and steal for new line hahahaha

i will be back soon to try again.

Reef bos cob season
    So I've been tieing up a few flys and have an idea of what the strand reef cob want to eat by word and mouth. Very keen to get out onto the water but I'm not to sure where the guys go out in the evenings especially. If anyone does go out it would help me out if I could tag along. Has anyone caught any cob on fly yet this early season?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Greeted by the normal caginess Dill Elliot.

Hey Guys! I just moved down to Somerset from Mpumalanga and I am itching to go cast a fly in the salt!
    Any tips and suggested fishing spots? How will the fishing be over this weeks spring tide and what are the ideal conditions for fishing the western cape salt?
    Planning on tying up a few flies during the week in preparation for the weekend, any suggestions? What are the essential flies sizes and colors for all round western cape saltwater?

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast