Thread: Angelier Park closed for fishing...

Default Angelier Park closed for fishing...

Hi Guys,

Last week I went to a local dam to try out some new rods. When I got there I did not see any papgooiers, thought it was my lucky day, usually they camp around the few fishing spots around the dam. (Don't have anything against papgooiers)

I walked closer to the water and saw a new notice board, one of those that they have at Sonstraal. But this one also states that fishing is only allowed from September to end June, forgot the exact dates, but closed during winter...

This use to be a very productive dam for big bass, kurper and bluegill, but last 8 years or so went downhill with all the carp in there. Haven't caught a bluegill or kurper there for 5 years, only the occasional bass...

So why would they have a closed season on the dam. I thought stuff it, I'm making a few casts, I was about to remove a rod from a tube when a security guard walked up to me and said unfortunately no fishing at this time.
    The I saw his little Wendy house at the parking lot further up the road. He did not really know why no fishing is allowed during the winter months, but they will be controlling the fishing and amount of people fishing this dam when the season opens up again, and any other unwanted visitors will also be chased away. (You will need to buy a special permit to fish it in the future)

I must say, I could clearly see the impact of him being there straight away. No empty cans/bottles/papers lying all over the place.

Apparently the community around the dam complained about all the papgooiers and other figures that hanged around the dam, or that was the feeling I got when speaking to the security dude.

It seems like a really good idea having a guard there, the place looks 100 times better since the last time I was there.

Anyone else come across dams that this has been implemented?

Was there last week Sunday and There people where fishing for Carp.
    But have to comment, they have definitly upgraded the place, nice walk ways, lamps along the walk ways etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Korrie, was the security guard there? Maybe he's off on week-ends...

Did not see him. I was visiting friends who live next to the dam. Took my dog for a walk on the dam wall, but still did not see any. Saw a very happy water mongoose below the wall.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Remember fishing it once for bass, but didn't see any movement in the water. NThat's a huge piece of water for onew person to patrol. Which side did you approach it from(TygerValley or Welgemoed)?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

From Tygervalley side, fished the welgemoed side a few times but never caught anything on that side

maybe we should stock a few trout in there
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    maybe we should stock a few trout in there
    I HEARD THAT!! .... where is my Rotenone???
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Ok, Jasper, you get CNC to clear the dam, and I'll see if I can twist Chris Shelton's arm for a few browns. I love it when a plan comes together
    Rudolph
    Confucius

HEHEHEHE ... could work!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS