Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer Tactics

Default Summer Tactics

Hi all,

I have never fished for yellows before and am planning to do some fishing at yellow fish paradice(its the only place i know) end of november early december

so what i would like to know is what tackle(Leader lengths & types) , flies(& how to connect to leader & How to fish them), and techniques would work?

I dont have waiders or a float tube or boat.

I have a 5/6Wt Xplorer XPC cassette + floating line +-100m 20Lb Backing and a Kingfisher Mayfly rod..

Andrew..

Okay, best bet would be to get someone to go out and show you the ropes. The KingFisher rod is no award winner, but it will get you into the yellows without a problem.

Ask here and see if someone will be willing to help you out. If you are even near Potch, just shout!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbuch View Post
    Hi all,

I have never fished for yellows before and am planning to do some fishing at yellow fish paradice(its the only place i know) end of november early december

so what i would like to know is what tackle(Leader lengths & types) , flies(& how to connect to leader & How to fish them), and techniques would work?

I dont have waiders or a float tube or boat.

I have a 5/6Wt Xplorer XPC cassette + floating line +-100m 20Lb Backing and a Kingfisher Mayfly rod..

Andrew..
    Helloooo Andrew,

Firstly as far as leaders, droppers, flies etc. are concerned, the search function is your freind. Type in Leaders for Yellows, or CZN Leaders and so on and you will be reading untill October.

I would also like to know why you are waiting untill then to hunt for gold?

Thirdly Geelvis is NOT a Vaal Virgin's starting point. The wading there is not just difficult, but bone breaking, with plenty of huge boulders with deep channels inbetween.

If you are serious about fishing for SM, I will take you out to a more suitable venue, preferrably around September, so that I can also show you where the spawning beds are and a few other tips,
    most valuable of which will be how to do a 30m+ drag free drift in person without swallowing Vaal waters.

PM me if you are intersted.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Helloooo Andrew,

Firstly as far as leaders, droppers, flies etc. are concerned, the search function is your freind. Type in Leaders for Yellows, or CZN Leaders and so on and you will be reading untill October.

I would also like to know why you are waiting untill then to hunt for gold?

Thirdly Geelvis is NOT a Vaal Virgin's starting point. The wading there is not just difficult, but bone breaking, with plenty of huge boulders with deep channels inbetween.

If you are serious about fishing for SM, I will take you out to a more suitable venue, preferrably around September, so that I can also show you where the spawning beds are and a few other tips,
    most valuable of which will be how to do a 30m+ drag free drift in person without swallowing Vaal waters.

PM me if you are intersted.
    Reason i am waiting for November is my budget doesnt allow me to make too many trips that distance, November is also when i will be on holiday holiday so would be able to make a trip of a few days rather.. will contact you closer to the time.. thanks

Andrew, try this for starters, and move on from here.

Firstly, don't over technicalise the fishing for yellows in November. It can be dead easy if you get afew things right.

Get areasonably strong 5 or 6 wt rod, any old reel, and a cheapie floating line.
    Tie about 3 feet of 8 pound mono to the end of the fly line.
    Tie a numph to the end of the mono...pretty much any nymph.
    Tie another 50cm of the same mono to the fly (New Zealand style) will be fine
    Tie another nymph to the end of this piece of mono.
    You can tie on a third piece with another fly, but start with 2 flies first.
    get a few pieces of split shot and attach some to the line just above the top fly.
    Get yourslf into some flowing water, and draw off a few meters of flyline and lob the flies upstream and accross and let the current bring them back past you.
    Do this until you get a fish.

Please dont mistake what i have said here to be Czech nymphing, what you essentially will be doing if you follow this, is what is called, The Vaal "plop n, drag". A very effective way for novice fishers to start.
    Another technique that works, is to get yourself into a position where the water flows into a pool, or starts leveling out in a headwater. Point your rod downstream and let a few meters of line out. lift the rod tip up and down slowly, to give the flies some movement, and wait for the bang.

This is a crude way to start, but should get results. The best however is to go with someone who can get you started, as Herman has said.
    Good luck

Don't worry about the waders - that time of year it's too warm for waders.

Why not hop on one of the trips that some of us will be going on around that time - there will be guys on the river from this forum every weekend. I'm sure no one is going to mind taking you along and offering some advice.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Andrw, I sent you a PM about fishing the Vaal, check it out and let me know!!!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Andrew, try this for starters, and move on from here.

Point your rod downstream and let a few meters of line out. lift the rod tip up and down slowly, to give the flies some movement, and wait for the bang.

This is a crude way to start, but should get results. The best however is to go with someone who can get you started, as Herman has said.
    Good luck
    Ha ha that's exactly how I started, follow the advice and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbuch View Post
    Reason i am waiting for November is my budget doesnt allow me to make too many trips that distance, November is also when i will be on holiday holiday so would be able to make a trip of a few days rather.. will contact you closer to the time.. thanks
    Let me know when you're ready and we'll plan a trip to some of the good spots.

Thanks everybody, will try organise with someone sometime to go with and learn me some tricks..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast