Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mullet on a light flyrod in a salt river mouth

Default Mullet on a light flyrod in a salt river mouth

Hi guys. Im new to flytalk, as well as flyfishing really! I started about 3 weeks ago, and so far I have caught 11 rainbows. i am hooked on it now and i really want to broaden my species count. I have a house at Stilbaai and I i often use my thrownet to catch mullet for livebait. I have caught huuuuge ones in my net and really want to catch them on fly. Which flies should i use guys??? flying ants? gnats? bread imitations?

Cheers guys
    Christopher

Sorry, forgot this is freshwater. once off. can you guys help?? cheers

phew...just started fly fishing 3 weeks ago,....11 rainbows so far. firstly, let me say welcome to the site....secondly,....11 rainbows.....respect
    mullet on fly....bread flies work a charm, depends on how much of a purist you are, there is nothing wrong with a spray or three of anchovy to create a chum line. there is a thread on mullet you can search for. the normal way is to tie a bread fly and then chum with small pieces of bread and voila.....
    eish, 11 rainbows in 3 weeks of learning FF....well done, but please help me..
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

THanks rols, appreciated. I love your quote! haha. What is the best way to imitate bread??? white marabou feathers or something? tied in a bunch? what materials??
    The thing is... I am not lying when I say i caught 11 rainbows....(i know you didnt accuse me, im just saying).... they WERE in my school dam which is stocked.....but i guess that doesnt really change the fact that i caught them does it? stream fishing is obviously much harder i guess.....

cheers

nah, any fishing is hard...it's how you enjoy it that counts. being new to FF i'm not sure if you tie your own flies....so you either have to buy bread flies or tie them using egg yarn which is available at the fly shops. it's a bit difficult to explain the steps but you use a small hook and spin a bit of the yarn onto the hook to resemble bread. i'm sure if you search bread fly you might find something. i had the luck of a puppy ripping open a pillow and lo and behold, the insides looked similar to the yarn....so i use that instead
    ps...when the puppy rips another one apart and feathers come out....thats not the same as egg yarn
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Check out "Electic Blue Action" under the articles archive on the Flytalk home page.

Sound like you have been targetting the southern mullet. They are good fun and there are plenty of them around. What you really want to have bite are the stripped mullet. Here is the thread Conrad is refering too.http://www.flytalk.co.za/readArticle.php?p_id=5
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Thank you! ya, its the southern mullet. do you get striped mullet in stilbaai? what flies do you use for them?? When is flying ant season?? a fly imitation will be good i am sure..!

cheers guys

Wooly and all

Mark Krige has had huge success with Mullet on fly

If I recollect correctly he uses 2 techniques

1) breadfly imitation
    2) sandlice imitation

Breadfly is basically a piece of wool tied on a hook. chum water with bread and enjoy the ride.
    Sandlice fly is pretty much dubbing tied on a scud hook, catch few sandlice amongst the dry/ beached kelp and chum the water and send your fly into the foray.

I am expecting a call from Mark tonight so will confirm with him.

k

Thank you! I have also heard that sandlice work. WHat is the best time to go for them??? summer i am sure!?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast