Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best flies, line, tippets for Blacktail and others

Default Best flies, line, tippets for Blacktail and others

Hi guys. im new to the salt water flyfishing, well fresh too really. and i have a few questions. I am really keen to catch blacktail or wildeperd on fly. I have caught some very nice ones on 6ft6b bass rod and mussel with no sinker, only a swivel. even picked up a galjoen like that when i cast only 4m. next challenge for me....fly.. should i use worm imitations like the bloodworm fly? or what will work for them??? rod? 6wt? 7wt?? help guys....

Cheers
    chris

Mate, I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but living in Natal in the past we nailed them in the foamy washes close to gulleys.

In those days Clousers were the go to fly.
    Charteuse and white were the go to pattern fished on sinking lines. We were definitely the freaks of nature casting fly lines amongst the koolies and blokes fishing for shad.

The trick was to fish them sporadically......strip......pause strip...strip....stripppppppp. Get the fly down.
    Takes were oten taken on the drop and on dark flies predominantly.......black and white and white / chartreuse with flash.

We used to get some good ones around the really foamy washes and often picked up shad as well.

If you could get past the bait blokes and get some space to yourself you'd be in in with a chance.
    Fortunatelt 'Toti in those days we had half a chance of some decent fishing.

Fishing Mollies pool often resulted in some good catches....enough for gran to cook!
    Last edited by Kevin James; 15-08-08 at 05:58 PM. Reason: ****ed up the post

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    Mate, I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but living in Natal in the past we nailed them in the foamy washes close to gulleys.

In those days Clousers were the go to fly.
    Charteuse and white were the go to pattern fished on sinking lines. We were definitely the freaks of nature casting fly lines amongst the koolies and blokes fishing for shad.

The trick was to fish them sporadically......strip......pause strip...strip....stripppppppp.
    Takes were oten taken on the drop and on dark flies predominantly.

We used to get wsome good ones aroud I
    We used to get wsome good ones aroud I SOUNDS like Wooleybuggers avatar.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

OK sweet. thanks. I have a place at Stilbaai. U should use fast sinking line???? or an intermediat with fast sinkin tippet?? Clousers you say...hmmm. interesting. thought they only worked on predators... Do you think a musselworm imitation will work??? I am thinking....this will be a very good plan, because the worm will be given life...unlike the dead one on a 2/0 hook and a sinker. thoughts??

Cheers and thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    We used to get wsome good ones aroud I SOUNDS like Wooleybuggers avatar.

Dave......buggered if I know what that means? <grin> Some of my old gobbledy gook - brain working faster than the fingers.

Mate, respect if it's one of those secret spots that you have worked out where you get some big fish.
    Max respect....no explanation needed.

We have a few and full kudos to you fullasl

Kia Ora
    Last edited by Kevin James; 17-08-08 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Changing some of the Maori to English

Dudes.....

How does the washing around of flyline work???? it is much thicker than mono....so how will the washing work??? you will need sinking lne i am sure. do you bring your fly in quickly as to lessen the time that it can get washed around???? you dont HAVE to use fluoro leader surely? kollies arent that sensetive about line.... anyway.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post

Dave......buggered if I know what that means? <grin> Some of my old gobbledy gook - brain working faster than the fingers.

Mate, respect if it's one of those secret spots that you have worked out where you get some big fish.
    Max respect....no explanation needed.

We have a few and full kudos to you fullasl

Kia Ora
    Was just having a bit of fun. Actually the NA profile and not the avatar got to me. If I reply its best knowing always that I am responding to someone somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolybugger View Post
    Dudes.....

How does the washing around of flyline work???? it is much thicker than mono....so how will the washing work??? you will need sinking lne i am sure. do you bring your fly in quickly as to lessen the time that it can get washed around???? you dont HAVE to use fluoro leader surely? kollies arent that sensetive about line.... anyway.

cheers
    Just make sure it's a cheap sinking line. Enjoy, wherever you are.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi

I use a small chartreuse salty bugger (see pic) rigged behind an orange ruffy. Clouser style so that hook swims upright. I have caught all my blacktail, and also a wildeperd, like this. I use an intermediate line because I fish shallow rocky flats at Arniston, but if you fish deeper gullies or water with a lot of current, a sinker would be best. [Ganis (see ad in TCFF) are selling airflow 40+ sinkers at R199 for 2 lines.]

A slow retrieve works best and mostly they take the fly when it's static between stips. I have tried many patterns, including worms, but the salty bugger is the only one that produced results for me.Who knows, something else might work better at Stilbay. I would try the beach as you go around the point and walk towards Jongensfontein.

Oh, and don't forget to take LOTS of flies because you lose them at an epic rate if you fish them close to the rocky bottom where the fish are.

Thanks a lot Conrad! that really does help. For the salty bugger...how much does one cost? if i want to tie... to i just add beadhead or dumbell eyes, tie in generous amount of marabou tail with flash on sides, add chenille ( do other colours work well too??? which ones?? ) and tie off?? Is that it??? btw. what tippet do you use...and how long??? I can cast about 20-22m. that is far enough if im fishing rocky drop offs??

cheers

Thanks a lot Conrad! that really does help. For the salty bugger...how much does one cost? if i want to tie... to i just add beadhead or dumbell eyes, tie in generous amount of marabou tail with flash on sides, add chenille ( do other colours work well too??? which ones?? ) and tie off?? Is that it??? btw. what tippet do you use...and how long??? I can cast about 20-22m. that is far enough if im fishing rocky drop offs??

cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast