Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Liesbeek River

Default Liesbeek River

During my lunch break I decided to go for a quick walk down the river. This is the section between the N2 and the River Club driving range. As I suspected there were fish in the water (no where more than 1m deep). The water is crystal clear in most places, but there is a lot of rubbish in the water (especially plastics). In the 25 minutes I spent walking the bank I saw 8 carp (largest about 7kg and the smallest about 2kg), a nice fat barber as well as a large Tilapia (+/- 1.5kg). There are also a lot of small fish (fingerlings) in the reeds with a lot of water birds playing around. I don't think its the safest area early morning - but sure it could provide some fun on the long rod.

Have anyone ever fished the river and have you had any success?

Cheers,
    Cornelis
    Never mistake knowledge for wisdom.

Been there a couple of times.
    The fish are very wise. Every bergie and his mate tries to score some free proteien there. (never felt threatned, lots of people walking their dogs etc)
    That whole area have been cleaned up. I don't think you will have problems fishing there.
    Before work, lunch time and after work to miss the trafic, definitly worth to fish for a half and hour or so. Never had success. The fish are very clever, should actually try it more often.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Actually had a look there not too long ago. Lotsa fish there. My wife caught a carp there on bait a long time ago. Went with a fly rod once and it was too weeded inn to fish. Perfect place to stalk carp but could prove challenging with the visibility as clear as you say it is. I would give it a bash if I was you, I just don't have the time to go
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

I drive past there every day .... one evening saw a guy trying to take a photo of himself holding a BIG Carp (estimate 6kg or so) ... no idea how he caught it ... but he was a normal person - not a Bergie. Opposite the hockey field
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Saw in the Cape Times today that they have just pulled a body out of the river - pleasant place to fish.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Ive heard the same thing wrt to sandvlei....the places we need 2 frequent in order 2 get a bend on the rod.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Default Liesbeek

I fished there a coupla times last season and may have been the guy with the 6kg carp above :-)

Down near the wier the fish are always mating, but every now and then they move upstream in a shoal to feed and will take a fly. Fish up near the N2 bridge
    on the Hartleyvale side with a yellow fly, I use a thing Sean Mills calls a Liesbeek Killer.

I live just round the corner so PM me if you wanna see the fly. If you want someone mad enough to jump in and retrieve your carp PM Conrad Botes..

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Saw in the Cape Times today that they have just pulled a body out of the river - pleasant place to fish.
    Thats why the fishies so BIIIIIIIIIG!!!!!
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Fished that stretch once or twice and the fish where really wary even spooking at the sight of a flyline on the water but stangely not bothered by me being visible, also saw a catfish trying to swallow a drowned mole of approx 1kg, the mole that is and I am sure it could be fun when you wait for the traffic to thin out

Thanks for the responses - will give it a go when I have some time and let you know what the results were!
    Never mistake knowledge for wisdom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast