Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Flyfishing Freebie - Contermanskloof

Default Flyfishing Freebie - Contermanskloof

Nestled in the heart of the Durbanville hills, 20 minutes drive from the City centre, lies a dam on the historical farm 'Contermanskloof'. The dam has a 15 year history of producing trout of trophy proportions, which is mainly due to good depth and the presense of a rich and abundant food life ( this includes snails, buzzers, damsels, tadpoles, ghost shrimp, tilapia, you name it).

I was involved in the first stockings of the dam during this time which was during the previous good climatic cycle. The dam then went through climatic changes with the onset of the drought the Cape experienced in subsequent years and weed growth took over as the water table dropped. During this time, somebody in his wisdom introduced carp!

The few trout that remain are from a stocking that took place just over 4 years ago, I was not involved. The last sighting of one of these fish was in December last year when a youngster landed a trout as long as his leg! The dam has not been fished since.

Prior to our first stockings, a small population of bass existed in the dam, but these co-existed quite nicely with the trout, the trout being the dominant species in the dam by way of numbers at the time. I suspect that the introduction of carp has further curtailed the bass.

Now, the good news is that I have the farmers blessing to embark upon a mission to eradicate the carp with the view of re establishing a trophy trout fishing venue. From my climatic observations over the past 20 years, I am confident that the cycle that we are presently in is condusive to a good 10 year window of opportunity.

So, having given you this brief background, what I would like to offer is a freebie to fellow Flytalkers, limited to 10 rods on a first come first serve basis. The main objective is to establish if any trout still exist, so I need you guys to help me out here. Provisions are that any trout are to be released, and all carp and bass must be killed.

The first 10 replies will be given the freebie.

Below are a few photos taken from the tail end of the dam and sweeping around in a 180 degree arc from the left hand bank to the right hand bank.

"Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Pic me!
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Me me me This sounds lekker, when do you plan to go ?

Yes please chris!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

I'm In
    Korrie
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

Chris, this would be great, i am in.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Thank you, if i am in time
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Just incase you did not get my first message
    Im in
    Korrie
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Thank you, if i am in time
    You are in time, can't you count to 10 ?

By the way you are more than welcome to bring along your arks (with trolling motors) or float tubes
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast